By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
The CapitalThe CapitalThe Capital
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
      • Featured Profile
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Reading: Nigeria plans to boost oil output as price hits $65
Share
Font ResizerAa
The CapitalThe Capital
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sports
Search
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
Business

Nigeria plans to boost oil output as price hits $65

December 13, 2017 7:16 am
The Capital
Share
SHARE

Less than two weeks after the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC)’s decision to extend oil production cuts, Nigeria and Libya are planning to raise output next year. Oil price has hit $65, the highest in 30 months.

Brent crude prices jumped above $65 per barrel after the shutdown of the Forties North Sea pipeline knocked out significant supplies from a market that was already tightening due to OPEC-led production cuts.

Brent crude’s international bench mark was at $ 65.07 a barrel at 0211 GMT.

U.S. West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude futures were at $58.21 a barrel.

Britain’s Forties oil pipeline, the country’s largest at a capacity of 450,000 barrels per day (bpd), shut down on Monday after cracks were revealed.

“The market reaction shows that in a tight market, any supply issue will quickly be reflected in higher prices,” said ANZ bank.

The jump in Brent prices widened its premium to WTI prices, making U.S. oil exports more attractive

While many ministers at the Nov. 30 meeting of the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) suggested the two nations had joined the output-curbing deal, both are working to add to their peak production from 2018.

On Friday, oil company Total said its new Egina field offshore Nigeria was on track to start in 2018, adding 10 per cent to the country’s production.

The field will have a capacity of 200,000 barrels per day (bpd) and launch in the fourth quarter of 2018, counterbalancing production constrained by aging pipelines, perpetual theft and sabotage.

“That could certainly change the dynamics,” said Ehsan Ul-Haq, head of crude and products at Resource Economist, a consultancy.

See also  Petroleum Marketers Speak On Fuel Price Crash As Port Harcourt Refinery Resumes Operation

The Nigerian petroleum ministry did not respond to a request for comment on the Egina field startup, and whether production elsewhere would be curtailed as a result.

On Saturday, the head of Libya’s UN-backed government met the head of Libya’s National Oil Corp (NOC) and the governor of Tripoli’s central bank to discuss how the corporation could get more cash to raise oil output next year.

The NOC received a quarter of its requested budget in 2017, hampering efforts to sustain oil output near 1 million bpd.

Any additional funds could help make crucial repairs to the country’s energy infrastructure, a regular target for militant attacks, and boost output above the roughly one million bpd mark where it currently stands.

Libya’s NOC has so far not spoken officially about the OPEC deal and declined a Reuters request for comment.

NO CAPS

The developments may come as a surprise to market observers, who, after the Nov. 30 meeting, believed Nigeria and Libya had agreed to participate in the OPEC agreement by imposing official caps at their peak 2017 production levels.

Instead, the two countries merely provided their production outlook for 2018 and an assessment that the combined total would not exceed 2.8 million bpd, their forecast output for 2017, two sources familiar with the matter told Reuters.

That outlook was dependent on both countries’ finances and security situation, one of those sources said.

The headline of a statement issued by Nigeria’s petroleum ministry on the day of the OPEC meeting stressed, in block capitals, that Nigeria and Libya were exempt from cuts.

See also  Peterside Knocks NNPC Over Waste, Poor Business Model

Oil Minister Emmanuel Ibe Kachikwu emphasised in the statement that the nation’s condensates, a form of ultra-light crude, were exempt from any total, giving it leeway in calculations.

He added that there was “no obligation” to do anything.

Oil production from the two countries has averaged 1.7 million bpd and 900,000 bpd this year according to Reuters assessments.

It has swung in each country in a range of 340,000-350,000 bpd.

You Might Also Like

Diplomatic Doldrums: Tinubu’s Tangled Ties – Nigeria’s Foreign Affairs Ministry, Embassies in Disarray Amid Political Upheavals
Very Unethical and Uncouth! Sam Iwuajoku Goofs, Calls Execujet Passengers ‘bunch of useless people’
Naira Falls To N1,300/$ In Black Market
MTN Yet to Submit Application for Listing, says SEC
10 Authentic Game Apps That Pay Directly Into Your Nigerian Bank Account: Have Fun, Earn Real Money
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
APC Chieftain Begs Nigerians to Shelve Protest, Say Tinubu will Stabilise Economy

BREAKING: Tinubu Makes Fresh Top Appointment 

Segun Aina, a distinguished professor of computer engineering at Obafemi Awolowo University…

BREAKING: Fubara Picks NDC Form To Contest Rivers Governorship Election

A Rivers State politician, Blessing Fubara, has announced his decision to contest…

Hours After Fubara, Wike’s Loyalist Withdraws From Rivers APC Primary

A governorship aspirant of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Rivers State,…

Rivers Governor Fubara Withdraws From APC Governorship Primary

Rivers State Governor, Siminalayi Fubara, has announced his withdrawal from the All…

BREAKING: Top APC Governorship Aspirant Withdraws From Primaries; Reasons Emerge

An aspirant for the Rivers State governorship seat, Tonye Cole, has withdrawn…

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
TelegramFollow
WhatsAppFollow

You Might Also Like

APC Chieftain Begs Nigerians to Shelve Protest, Say Tinubu will Stabilise Economy
Business

New Petrol Price Coming As FG, NNPC, Dangote Refinery Agree on New Petrol Lifting, Subsidy Payment As Petrol Price Rises

October 8, 2024

Inflation, Exchange Rate To Decline, Says CBN Governor

December 15, 2023
Black Market Dollar To Naira Exchange Rate Today
Business

UPDATE: Naira Depreciates By 0.58% At Official Market

June 26, 2024

BVN: Banks move to stop deposit forfeiture, lobby AGF

November 6, 2017

Categories

  • News
  • Homepage
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Top News
  • Highlife
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Inside Boardroom

About The Capital

We deliver premium coverage of business, politics, lifestyle, entertainment, and society stories shaping Nigeria and beyond. Through credible reporting, insightful features, and engaging digital storytelling, we keep readers informed on the people, trends, events, and conversations driving modern culture and public discourse.
Quick Links
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Connect with us on Social Media

Facebook X-twitter Whatsapp Envelope

Send us email: [email protected]

© thecapital.ng. All Rights Reserved. Designed by Semasir Connect.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?