By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
The CapitalThe CapitalThe Capital
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
      • Featured Profile
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Reading: 63-Year-Old Nigerian Pastor, Timothy Omotoso Accused of R*pe Loses Legal Bid in South Africa To Block Evidence
Share
Font ResizerAa
The CapitalThe Capital
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sports
Search
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
Top News

63-Year-Old Nigerian Pastor, Timothy Omotoso Accused of R*pe Loses Legal Bid in South Africa To Block Evidence

September 2, 2024 7:01 am
The Capital
Share
SHARE

The High Court in Gqeberha, South Africa, has rejected an application by Nigerian pastor Timothy Omotoso and two others to have evidence in their r*pe and trafficking case declared inadmissible.

Omotoso, 63, along with his female associates were detained in April 2017 on charges of r*pe and trafficking.

The Nigerian cleric, based in South Africa, established Jesus Dominion International Church, which has branches in Israel and Nigeria. …CONTINUE READING

Mr Omotoso and his assistants are facing 32 counts, including racketeering, tr*fficking in people, rape and sexual assault.

He was denied bail while his two assistants – all South Africans – had since been granted bail.

The two assistants were accused of being accomplices in the alleged crimes.

The charges against the defendants were initially 63 but later reduced to 32 after some witnesses indicated they had lost interest in pursuing the case due to delay.

Dismissal of application
Mr Omotoso and the two others, through their lawyer, Peter Daubermann, asked the court to declare the evidence against them inadmissible.

The accused argued that the evidence was obtained “unconstitutionally.”

But the court, presided by Irma Schoeman, dismissed the application and ruled that the evidence would be considered in the trial, Daily Sun, a South African newspaper, reported on 21 August.

Luxolo Tyali, the regional spokesperson of Eastern Cape’s National Prosecuting Authority (NPA), told the newspaper that the decision came after previous applications by the televangelist for five special entries for a mistrial.

The National Prosecuting Authority is the South African agency responsible for the country’s prosecutions.

See also  Buhari Breaks Silence As Wike Revokes 762 Plots Of Land Belonging To Ex-President, Governors, Lawmaker

“Judge Irma Schoeman had previously dismissed their application for discharge, and the state was ready to proceed with the remaining proceedings in the trial, meaning that the accused must present their case and they will be subject to cross-examination by the state,” Mr Tyali said.

The spokesperson said those who accused Mr Omotoso of rape and trafficking included members of his church, employees or people selected to participate in church activities.

Mr Tyali said some of the employees were recruited under the pretext that they would benefit spiritually or improve the quality of their lives.

“Omotoso allegedly, directly or indirectly through his co-accused, paid and arranged for the complainants to travel to his hotels in Durban, Israel or Nigeria.

“However, once the complainants arrived, Omotoso or his assistants would inform them of house rules which included that their cellphones be switched off, they were not to contact their male companions and they were to obey his instructions,” he stated.

He said the complainants and other female church members were allegedly kept in one room where they also slept.

Mr Tyali added that Mr Omotoso would allegedly select one of the complainants to go to his private bedroom, where he allegedly raped or sexually assaulted them.

He said the matter has been adjourned until 9 November.

Follow the TheCapital channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vak8l9A0AgW5dkRkwk29

You Might Also Like

2027 Election: Mixed Reactions As Peter Obi/El-Rufai Campaign Poster Surfaces Online
Ex-Democrat Megadonor Reveals How 18-Yr-Old Donald Trump’s Son, Barron, Help Dad Win Election, Say He’s Smarter Than Everybody On Kamala’s Campaign
[BREAKING] N15 Million Alleged Bribe: Bobrisky Sues VeryDarkMan For ₦1 Billion Over Defamation Allegations [PHOTOS]
Black Market Dollar To Naira Exchange Rate Today 1st February 2024
2027 Presidency: Why El-Rufai Prefers Peter Obi Revealed!
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print

BREAKING: EFCC Arrests Buhari’s Former Minister From His Hiding Place

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arrested a former Minister…

FULL LIST: 47 Disqualified Senatorial Aspirants

The All Progressives Congress (APC) on Monday released the list of senatorial…

JUST IN: NDC Finally Names Presidential Aspirant for 2027 Election

Peter Obi, the former presidential candidate of the Labour Party, has been…

Tension in Kano as Gov Yusuf Sends Warning to Kwankwaso

Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf of Kano State has issued a stern warning…

APC Make U-Turn On Senatorial Primaries List

The All Progressives Congress has made a u-turn on its earlier list…

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
TelegramFollow
WhatsAppFollow

You Might Also Like

Chijioke Igbokwe
Top News

VIDEO: How NDLEA Saved Businessman, Chijioke Igbokwe’s Life, Removes 57 Cocaine Pellets Stuck In His Stomach

February 2, 2025

[US Presidential Election] REVEALED: 4 Reasons Kamala Harris May Lose At The Polls

November 4, 2024
Black Market Dollar To Naira Exchange Rate Today
Top News

Black Market Naira To Dollar Exchange Rate Today 20th January 2026

January 20, 2026
How To Apply For Nigerian Army 87 Regular Recruitment
Top News

Document Reveals Another 196 Nigerian Soldiers Tender Resignation Letters To Army Chief Lagbaja Over Corruption, Poor Welfare, Others

September 8, 2024

Categories

  • News
  • Homepage
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Top News
  • Highlife
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Inside Boardroom

About The Capital

We deliver premium coverage of business, politics, lifestyle, entertainment, and society stories shaping Nigeria and beyond. Through credible reporting, insightful features, and engaging digital storytelling, we keep readers informed on the people, trends, events, and conversations driving modern culture and public discourse.
Quick Links
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Connect with us on Social Media

Facebook X-twitter Whatsapp Envelope

Send us email: [email protected]

© thecapital.ng. All Rights Reserved. Designed by Semasir Connect.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?