By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
The CapitalThe CapitalThe Capital
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
      • Featured Profile
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Reading: 2015: Jonathan’s Book Misrepresented Facts, Says US
Share
Font ResizerAa
The CapitalThe Capital
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sports
Search
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
News

2015: Jonathan’s Book Misrepresented Facts, Says US

December 11, 2018 3:53 pm
The Capital
Share
SHARE

The United States consulate in Nigeria has responded to allegations contained in the book written by former President Goodluck Jonathan.

Jonathan had in his recently published book titled, ‘My Transition Hours’ claimed that former United States President, Barack Obama, meddled in the 2015 Presidential elections in favour of President Muhammadu Buhari.

Jonathan said Obama’s support for Buhari was so glaring that he released a video shortly before the election, asking Nigerians to “open a new chapter”.

He had also berated Obama for sending the then Secretary of State, John Kerry, to Nigeria on the eve of the election to protest against moves to postpone the election.

However, in a live chat on Facebook which was monitored by our correspondent, the Public Affairs Officer at the US Consulate General Lagos, Mr. Russell Brooks, described Jonathan’s claims as a “mischaracterisation”.

Brooks said, “It was mischaracterised in the book about what President Obama or his administration did in Nigeria. The mischaracterisation here refers to not comprehending why we felt it was important for Nigeria to have a peaceful, free and fair election in 2015.

“And thereby people may not understand why we placed so much importance of having a peaceful, free and fair and transparent election in 2019.

“In the past, Nigeria’s elections had been beset by violence, there have been questions about the fairness of those elections. And we certainly believe that Nigeria can do better. In 2015, Nigeria did do better.

“There may have been some difficulties as they often times occur in elections whether here in Nigeria or in the United States. But Nigeria did do better and we believe Nigeria will continue to make progress.”

See also  From Millionaire To Zeronaire, Bash Ali Laments At 68

When asked if the US would be supporting any Presidential candidate ahead of the 2019 election, Brooks said the US would continue to remain neutral.

He said the only thing the US would be supporting is a credible and fair process.

Brooks added, “We are not favouring or supporting any candidate. It is up to the Nigerian people to decide. Our candidate is the process. The process should be free and fair, it should be a non-violent process. I am not talking of any plus or minus of any candidate, we are not favouring any candidate. We are not trying to influence the success of any candidate. That is not our role.”

He said the US would support the Independent National Electoral Commission, the media and Civil Society Organisations especially in the area of capacity building.

Brooks said,“We are helping Nigeria to make that progress through our support to INEC, to civil society here in Nigeria; through our assistance to the press and enabling them to also play a positive role in the coverage of the elections.

“All these show how important we believe it is for Nigeria to have an election process that can be credible and stand against any election anywhere in the world. We believe Nigeria can accomplish that .”

You Might Also Like

Detailed copy of controversial 2016 budget ready today —Reps
More trouble for Magu as DSS submits evidence against acting  EFCC chair to AGF
Metuh’s torn statement linked Jonathan to N400m –EFCC
Twitter: FG Seeks Powers To License, Regulate Internet Broadcast, Online Media
Billionaire businessman, top PDP financier, Emeka Offor goes broke
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print

Tension in Kano as Gov Yusuf Sends Warning to Kwankwaso

Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf of Kano State has issued a stern warning…

APC Make U-Turn On Senatorial Primaries List

The All Progressives Congress has made a u-turn on its earlier list…

Government Issues Fresh Update on Sallah Celebration

Saudi Arabia government has announced that Eid Al-Adha will be celebrated on…

Fuel nozzle

BREAKING: No More N1320/Litre, Petrol Price Crashes At Depots Nationwide; New Rates Emerge

The price of petrol at various private depots across Nigeria recorded marginal…

Breaking Grounds: Tunji Alausa Flags Off Landmark Hostel Projects at LASU, YABATECH

● Education Minister leads groundbreaking ceremonies as Lagos institutions infrastructure reform ●FG-backed…

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
TelegramFollow
WhatsAppFollow

You Might Also Like

Nnamdi Kanu
News

BREAKING: Fresh Twist As 44 Lawmakers Demand For Nnamdi Kanu’s Release [FULL LIST]

November 18, 2025

13% Derivation Arrears: Wike Draws Battle Line With Niger Delta Gov

November 30, 2022
Shorter Route To Death: NDLEA Exposes New Deadly Mixture ‘Combine’
News

Shorter Route To Death: NDLEA Exposes New Deadly Mixture ‘Combine’ (VIDEO)

April 14, 2024

Again! EFCC re-arrest Fidelity Bank MD over $153M Diezani funds

May 25, 2016

Categories

  • News
  • Homepage
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Top News
  • Highlife
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Inside Boardroom

About The Capital

We deliver premium coverage of business, politics, lifestyle, entertainment, and society stories shaping Nigeria and beyond. Through credible reporting, insightful features, and engaging digital storytelling, we keep readers informed on the people, trends, events, and conversations driving modern culture and public discourse.
Quick Links
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Connect with us on Social Media

Facebook X-twitter Whatsapp Envelope

Send us email: [email protected]

© thecapital.ng. All Rights Reserved. Designed by Semasir Connect.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?