By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
The CapitalThe CapitalThe Capital
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
      • Featured Profile
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Reading: Alleged N7.8bn fraud: EFCC rejects ex-Air Chief’s out of court settlement offer
Share
Font ResizerAa
The CapitalThe Capital
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sports
Search
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
Homepage

Alleged N7.8bn fraud: EFCC rejects ex-Air Chief’s out of court settlement offer

June 11, 2016 2:44 am
The Capital
Share
SHARE

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has said that it will prefer plea bargain instead of an out-of-court settlement with a former Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Mohammed Umar.

The commission is also expecting that the plea bargain will come with at least a light sentence by the court to serve as deterrent.

But to make any headway, the EFCC wants Umar to refund all the funds allegedly traced to him, including the forfeiture of choice assets to the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

The anti-graft agency was however awaiting Umar’s offers as at the time of filing this report.

Pending the offers from the ex-Chief of Staff, the EFCC has opted to go ahead with the trial until it gets to a convenient bend for the two parties to sign an agreement.

The ex-Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Mohammed Dikko Umar, who is on trial for alleged N7.8billion fraud, sought for an out-of-court settlement on Tuesday.

The EFCC was, however, weighing options as at the time of filing this report.

A top EFCC source, who spoke in confidence with our correspondent, said it was technically wrong for Umar to seek an out-of-court settlement.

The source said: “We are aware of plans by the ex-Chief of Air Staff for an out-of-court settlement, but as a commission, we will go for plea bargain if he is ready to return all the cash credited or traced to him.

“When you talk of an out-of-court settlement, it is as if there is a civil disagreement between the EFCC and the ex-Chief of Air Staff.

See also  NJC fires Appeal Court Justice over N200m bribe

“What we have at hand is a criminal matter. The accused person must first of all admit that he committed the offence. So far, by the court records, the ex-Chief of Staff said he is not guilty of all the allegations against him.

“Let him do the needful and thereafter, he can initiate a plea bargain option which we will consider on merit.

“A key component of the plea bargain which can be acceptable to the EFCC is the readiness of the ex-Chief of Air Staff to refund all the funds credited or traced to him in cash or in terms of assets.

“Even if the plea bargain will carry a lighter sentence to serve as a deterrent to others, we prefer it than an out-of-court settlement.”

As at press time, it was learnt that the EFCC was still awaiting the details of Umar’s offers.

The top source added: “We are yet to receive the details of proposals. As we await his full offers, we will continue with the trial until we are able to agree on the conditions for a plea bargain.”

The former Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Mohammed Dikko Umar is facing trial at a Federal High Court in Abuja on seven charges which are in violation of Section 15(2)(b) of the Money Laundering Prohibition Act 2011, as amended.

He was alleged to have diverted funds from the accounts of the Nigerian Air Force(NAF) to purchase six choice properties in Abuja, Kano and Kaduna states.

He allegedly committed the offence between September 2010 and December 2012 to purchase six choice properties in Abuja, Kano and Kaduna states.

See also  BREAKING: Buhari Extends Lockdown for 14 Days

The EFCC accused Umar of transferring N66 million into the Stanbic IBTC account No. 9202077424 belonging to Capital Law office from NAF operations account domiciled at UBA Plc, for the renovation/improvement of a house at 1853, Deng Xiao Ping Street, Off Mahathir Mohammed Street, Asokoro Extension, Abuja.

The anti-graft agency also alleged that the ex-Chief of Staff used the dollar equivalent of N500 million withdrawn from NAF account to purchase a four-bedroom duplex with boys’ quarters at Road 3B, Street 2, Mabushi Ministers Hill, Abuja.

He bought another N250 million property at 14, Audu Bako Way, G.R.A. Kano State with NAF cash.

On Tuesday, Umar’s counsel, Hassan Liman (SAN) informed the court that his client had started negotiations with the complainant, the Economic and Financial Commission (EFCC), for the possibility of an out-of-court settlement of the case.

Liman disclosed that Umar had held meetings with officials of the EFCC during which discussions were held on the proposal.

He said Umar attended the meetings with his lawyers. He said the meetings were between Umar’s lawyers and the head of Legal Department of the anti-graft agency, head of the task force of the commission, Mr. Ibrahim Musa, and the prosecuting lawyer, Sylvanus Tahir.

Liman said after the first meeting held on May 31 and the subsequent one on June 3, it was resolved that the defendant should send a formal letter detailing his proposal to the commission.

Liman added that following the resolution, the defence had already written to the Chairman of the EFCC, Mr. Ibrahim Magu.

See also  I want to go to heaven, says Obasanjo

He said the letter was dated June 6, 2016.

The trial judge, Justice Binta Nyako adjourned the matter till June 16 for the prosecution to call its witnesses.

You Might Also Like

Their Imperial Majesties… Hottest  Young Stylish Kings Women Are Swooning Over
Invitation as Special Guest of Honour – South West Games 2025 Opening Ceremony
A King for All Seasons…Pageantry, Panache as Oba Saheed Elegushi Clocks 14 Years on the Throne
Sailing Into The Good Times…Abdulsamad Rabiu Celebrates Deal with French Axens On The High Seas
Good Samaritans…Gov. Dapo Abiodun Appreciates Obasanjo, Adeboye, Abdulsamad, Others for Donations, Interventions in the Fight Against Corona-virus
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print

BREAKING: EFCC Arrests Buhari’s Former Minister From His Hiding Place

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arrested a former Minister…

FULL LIST: 47 Disqualified Senatorial Aspirants

The All Progressives Congress (APC) on Monday released the list of senatorial…

JUST IN: NDC Finally Names Presidential Aspirant for 2027 Election

Peter Obi, the former presidential candidate of the Labour Party, has been…

Tension in Kano as Gov Yusuf Sends Warning to Kwankwaso

Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf of Kano State has issued a stern warning…

APC Make U-Turn On Senatorial Primaries List

The All Progressives Congress has made a u-turn on its earlier list…

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
TelegramFollow
WhatsAppFollow

You Might Also Like

Ungrateful nation! Late President Yar’Adua’s two wives miserable as Nigeria forgets their husband six years after his demise

May 18, 2016

DSS after me for refusing bribe from Amaechi over Akwa Ibom governorship, says Justice Okoro

October 19, 2016

Will Bosun Oredola Complete The Multi Billion Naira Project With Lagos State?

December 16, 2018

Billionaire Business man, Aliko Dangote sets to establish world-class university in Abuja

August 24, 2017

Categories

  • News
  • Homepage
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Top News
  • Highlife
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Inside Boardroom

About The Capital

We deliver premium coverage of business, politics, lifestyle, entertainment, and society stories shaping Nigeria and beyond. Through credible reporting, insightful features, and engaging digital storytelling, we keep readers informed on the people, trends, events, and conversations driving modern culture and public discourse.
Quick Links
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Connect with us on Social Media

Facebook X-twitter Whatsapp Envelope

Send us email: [email protected]

© thecapital.ng. All Rights Reserved. Designed by Semasir Connect.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?