By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
The CapitalThe CapitalThe Capital
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
      • Featured Profile
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Reading: Alleged NBC Fraud: Opposition Parties Demand Lai Mohammed’s Arrest
Share
Font ResizerAa
The CapitalThe Capital
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sports
Search
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
News

Alleged NBC Fraud: Opposition Parties Demand Lai Mohammed’s Arrest

February 8, 2019 11:21 pm
The Capital
Share
SHARE

Opposition political parties on the platform of the Coalition of United Political Parties on Friday called for the arrest and prosecution of the Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, over alleged N2.5bn Digital Switch Over fraud rocking the National Broadcasting Commission.

The coalition’s spokesman, Imo Ugochinyere, in a statement claimed the commission’s Director-General, Kawu Modibbo, who is currently being prosecuted on the matter was being used as a scapegoat to save the minister.

Ugochinyere said it was surprising that a government that claimed to be fighting corruption could retain a minister whose ministry oversees the commission enmeshed in fraud as its spokesman.

He said, “Opposition political parties have expressed concern over the pressure being mounted by the Presidency on the Independent Corrupt Practices Commission to discontinue the investigation of a N2.5bn Digital Switch Over fraud rocking the National Broadcasting Commission because the Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, whose ministry  supervises the commission is linked to the fraud.

“It is surprising that President Muhammadu Buhari will keep boasting of fighting corruption while in the real sense of it, his government is corruption personified.

“The Federal Government is currently prosecuting the Director-General of the NBC, Kawu Modibbo, on the matter while Lai Mohammed is left alone despite that he was linked to the fraud.”

He added, “What we have seen so far is that Alhaji Mohammed has continued to make inflammatory comments in order to continue to appease the Presidency for shielding him from prosecution.

“We therefore demand the arrest and prosecution of Alhaji Lai Mohammed over this monumental fraud to prove that this administration is indeed committed to fighting corruption.”

See also  JUST IN: Court Dismisses Suit Against Dapo Abiodun

You Might Also Like

EFCC detains ex-NNPC GMD over$9.7m loot
Minimum wage: We can only pay N22,500 governors tell workers
Rivers Crisis: Fubara Meets Nyesom Wike; Details Emerge
Bayelsa Assembly bows to pressure, swears in opposition lawmakers
Who Will Save Lagos Boat Club? Eyimofe Atake, Yinka Akinkugbe, Demola Akinrele, Jide Coker, Others In Messy Fight
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print

BREAKING: EFCC Arrests Buhari’s Former Minister From His Hiding Place

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arrested a former Minister…

FULL LIST: 47 Disqualified Senatorial Aspirants

The All Progressives Congress (APC) on Monday released the list of senatorial…

JUST IN: NDC Finally Names Presidential Aspirant for 2027 Election

Peter Obi, the former presidential candidate of the Labour Party, has been…

Tension in Kano as Gov Yusuf Sends Warning to Kwankwaso

Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf of Kano State has issued a stern warning…

APC Make U-Turn On Senatorial Primaries List

The All Progressives Congress has made a u-turn on its earlier list…

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
TelegramFollow
WhatsAppFollow

You Might Also Like

News

Curse of Plenty! How Billionaire Oil Magnate, Muhammadu Indimi’s Children Battled Him Over N645 Billion Profit

February 5, 2025

APC governors tackle Buhari on appointments

October 25, 2016
Tragedy As Deputy Commissioner Of Police, Gbolahan Olugbemi Found Dead In His Apartment
News

Tragedy As Deputy Commissioner Of Police, Gbolahan Olugbemi Found Dead In His Apartment

April 2, 2024

Gowon: No Problem If Power Shifts to South-East in 2023

January 18, 2020

Categories

  • News
  • Homepage
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Top News
  • Highlife
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Inside Boardroom

About The Capital

We deliver premium coverage of business, politics, lifestyle, entertainment, and society stories shaping Nigeria and beyond. Through credible reporting, insightful features, and engaging digital storytelling, we keep readers informed on the people, trends, events, and conversations driving modern culture and public discourse.
Quick Links
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Connect with us on Social Media

Facebook X-twitter Whatsapp Envelope

Send us email: [email protected]

© thecapital.ng. All Rights Reserved. Designed by Semasir Connect.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?