By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
The CapitalThe CapitalThe Capital
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
      • Featured Profile
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Reading: Biafra: FG may ask court to revoke Nnamdi Kanu’s bail
Share
Font ResizerAa
The CapitalThe Capital
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sports
Search
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
News

Biafra: FG may ask court to revoke Nnamdi Kanu’s bail

June 3, 2017 9:13 am
The Capital
Share
SHARE

The Federal Government may ask the Federal High Court in Abuja to revoke the bail granted to the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, Mr. Nnamdi Kanu, on grounds of alleged breach of the conditions of the bail granted him in April.

Top sources in the Federal Ministry of Justice, the body prosecuting the IPOB leader, told our correspondent on the condition of anonymity because they had no authority to speak to journalists on the matter, that alleged breaches of the bail conditions by Kanu were being noted.

They said the prosecuting authorities were taking records of the alleged breaches, reviewing them and would take “the necessary step at the appropriate time.”

Part of the major conditions of the bail which Justice Binta Nyako had granted Kanu on April 25, 2017, included prohibition from granting press interview.

The judge also barred Kanu from participating in any rally and warned that he should never be found in any crowd of more than 10 persons.

One of the sources in the Federal Ministry of Justice in Abuja, said although without going into details, “Kanu had been found to have flouted some of the conditions (he was given).”

The source added, “We are taking note of his conducts which were in breach of the conditions of the bail granted him.

“We are reviewing them and we will take the necessary action at the appropriate time.”

When asked if part of “the necessary steps” would be to ask for the revocation of the bail, the source said “of course, the consequence of any breach of bail conditions is the revocation of the bail.”

See also  New States Creation: Tinubu Set To Approve Only One New State, Region Reveals

When pressed to give details of the noticed breaches, one of the sources said, “It will not be appropriate to reveal the details now.

“But anybody who has been following the events would clearly see the breaches.”

The trial resumes on July 11.

Although, his co-accused had also filed separate bail applications, Kanu was the only one granted bail, among the four defendants standing trial on charges bordering on Biafra agitation.

The other accused persons charged along with Kanu were the National Coordinator of IPOB, Mr. Chidiebere Onwudiwe; an IPOB member, Benjamin Madubugwu, and a former Field Maintenance Engineer seconded to the MTN, David Nwawuisi.

After the judge struck out six out of the 11 counts preferred against the defendants on March 1, 2017, the defendants were left with five charges.

The charges included conspiracy and treasonable felony by allegedly conspiring among themselves to broadcast on Radio Biafra agitation for the secession of Republic of Biafra from Nigeria.

They were also accused of improper importation of goods and illegal possession of firearms.

Among the charges was also publication of defamatory matter by allegedly referring to the then President-elect, Maj-Gen. Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), and now President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, as “a paedophile, a terrorist, an idiot, and an embodiment of evil” in a broadcast on Radio Biafra on April 28, 2015.

Justice Nyako had after the case was transferred to her denied bail to all the four defendants.

But they filed their bail applications again after part of the charges preferred against them were struck out by the court.

See also  Court Strikes Out Suit Seeking Saraki, Dogara, 52 Other Lawmakers’ Sack Over Defection

In her ruling on April 25, 2017, Justice Nyako only granted bail on health grounds to Kanu, who had been in detention since 2015.

The judge, however, barred the IPOB leader from granting press interview while on bail.

The judge also gave a stern warning to the defendant not to participate in any rally or be found in a crowd of more than 10 persons in the course of the bail.

She ordered Kanu to submit to the court monthly reports on his health status while on bail.

Justice Nyako noted that she had observed that Kanu always had to sit down in the dock whenever he appeared in court, a development which she said could be an indication that he was suffering from an ailment that could not be treated in prison.

She therefore granted bail in the sum of N100m with three sureties in like sum.

Kanu has been receiving visitors since his release from Kuje Prison, where he had spent 18 months in detention.

Last weekend, Kanu had addressed a crowd of supporters, who were more than 10, at his father’s palace in Abia State as his father is the traditional ruler of Isiama Afara community in the state.

Three days later, Al Jazeera published an interview where Kanu was quoted as describing his bail conditions as too stringent and saying, “I don’t care”, when asked if the interview could put him in trouble.

“It’s like asking me not to breathe. I can’t go outside to call for a press conference. I can’t go on Biafra Radio to broadcast. I can’t allow large groups of people to basically congregate outside to see me,” he had reportedly added.

See also  Reps Order Ministries To Return N85bn COVID-19 Funds

The IPOB leader had also declared a sit-at-home campaign in the South-East on Tuesday to protest against alleged marginalisation of the region by the Federal Government.

Meanwhile, a group, South-East Peoples Assembly, in a letter signed by its President, Prince Chukwuemeka Okorie, had on Wednesday, asked the court to revoke Kanu’s bail for violating its conditions.

You Might Also Like

Tony Elumelu Launches New Subsidiary To Lead Digital Transformation In Africa
Family Plans Classy First Year Remembrance For Oba Okunade Sijuwade…Details of The Event
Attack on APC govt: Presidency hits back at Jonathan
Again, National Power Grid Collapses Second Time In 48 Hours
2019: INEC fixes presidential, National Assembly polls for Feb 16
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print

BREAKING: EFCC Arrests Buhari’s Former Minister From His Hiding Place

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arrested a former Minister…

FULL LIST: 47 Disqualified Senatorial Aspirants

The All Progressives Congress (APC) on Monday released the list of senatorial…

JUST IN: NDC Finally Names Presidential Aspirant for 2027 Election

Peter Obi, the former presidential candidate of the Labour Party, has been…

Tension in Kano as Gov Yusuf Sends Warning to Kwankwaso

Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf of Kano State has issued a stern warning…

APC Make U-Turn On Senatorial Primaries List

The All Progressives Congress has made a u-turn on its earlier list…

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
TelegramFollow
WhatsAppFollow

You Might Also Like

BREAKING: Fuel Subsidy Is Gone, Says Tinubu

May 29, 2023

EFCC hands over Amosu’s $2.15m hospital to Air Force

March 20, 2017

President Tinubu Celebrates Business Tycoon Femi Otedola On His Birthday

November 4, 2025

Jewel of the Delta! Oil Billionaire, Julius Rone, Celebrates 45 Today.

June 25, 2019

Categories

  • News
  • Homepage
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Top News
  • Highlife
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Inside Boardroom

About The Capital

We deliver premium coverage of business, politics, lifestyle, entertainment, and society stories shaping Nigeria and beyond. Through credible reporting, insightful features, and engaging digital storytelling, we keep readers informed on the people, trends, events, and conversations driving modern culture and public discourse.
Quick Links
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Connect with us on Social Media

Facebook X-twitter Whatsapp Envelope

Send us email: [email protected]

© thecapital.ng. All Rights Reserved. Designed by Semasir Connect.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?