By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
The CapitalThe CapitalThe Capital
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
      • Featured Profile
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Reading: Body Bag Threat: ICC May Prosecute El-Rufai – Falana
Share
Font ResizerAa
The CapitalThe Capital
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sports
Search
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
News

Body Bag Threat: ICC May Prosecute El-Rufai – Falana

February 21, 2019 12:21 pm
The Capital
Share
SHARE

Human rights lawyer, Mr Femi Falana (SAN),  says Kaduna State Governor, Mallam Nasir El-Rufai, risks being prosecuted by the International Criminal Court over his “body bag” comment.

The lawyer said the only thing that could save El-Rufai from being picked up and prosecuted by the ICC was for none of the foreign election observers in the country to be killed.

He, however, challenged the United States and the United Kingdom, which had threatened visa ban against any politician who makes inciting comments, to begin with El-Rufai.

Falana made this call in a paper he delivered at a public lecture organised by the Committee for the Defence of Human Rights in honour of the late Dr Beko Ransome-Kuti, who passed on 13 years ago.

Falana said, “Last week (sic), Mr Nasir El-Rufai, the Governor of Kaduna State, threatened that foreign election observers and monitors who interfere in the 2019 general elections would ‘return to their countries in body bags because nobody will come to Nigeria and tell us how to run our country’.

“It is indisputable that the threat to attack and kill foreign election observers in Nigeria constitutes an infraction of the Electoral Act, 2010 and the Penal Code.  But because the governor, El-Rufai, currently enjoys immunity his trial and prosecution for the offence will have to await the end of his tenure.

“The western countries that have threatened to place travel restrictions on members of the ruling class who incite violence or interfere in the electoral process should not hesitate to make an example of the governor without any further delay.

See also  EFCC searches Fani-Kayode’s house, arrests domestic worker

“The Special Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court, who has also warned against any form of electoral violence in the country, is urged to hold Governor El-Rufai responsible if foreign observers and monitors are killed during the 2019 general elections.”

The activist lawyer, however, accused the western nations of hypocrisy, noting that they kept mum when hundreds of Shi’ites were killed in the country.

He said, “They did not speak out when Governor El-Rufai publicly justified the massacre of 347 Shi’ites by the Nigerian Army in Zaria, Kaduna State on December 12, 2015.

“Did members of the international community protest when the governor authorised the mass burial of the bodies of the slain Shi’ites in an unmarked grave? Is the Special Prosecutor of the ICC not aware that the body bags of the massacred Shi’ites were not even sent to their bereaved family members?”

Falana said it was funny that the ruling All Progressives Congress would accuse the opposition Peoples Democratic Party of engaging lobbyists to meddle in Nigeria’s internal affairs, when the ruling party did the same in 2015.

He said, “It is interesting to note that the All Progressive Congress has accused western countries of supporting the Peoples Democratic Party in the 2019 general elections. Did former President Jonathan not accuse President (Barack) Obama of supporting the APC during the 2015 general elections? Have both the APC and the PDP not engaged the services of lobby groups to convince the governments of western countries to believe in their ability and competence to fix the problems of Nigeria? Have both political parties not sought the endorsement of the governments of western countries?

See also  2023 Presidential Election: See What IBB Said About Tinubu’s Victory

“Having regard to the commitment of both the APC and the PDP to guarantee unrestrained exploitation of the nation’s resources by imperialism it is naive to think that the governments of western countries are going to maintain neutrality in the politics of the country.”

You Might Also Like

Buhari ‘withdraws’ budget after controversy
How Nigeria Accidentally Discovered 206trn Cubic Feet Gas Reserve – Sylva
Naira Gains N8 As Equities Make N778b
NIMASA pays N9.975b, $38m into Consolidated Revenue Fund
Alleged money laundering: Belgore, ex-minister get new trial date
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print

APC Make U-Turn On Senatorial Primaries List

The All Progressives Congress has made a u-turn on its earlier list…

Government Issues Fresh Update on Sallah Celebration

Saudi Arabia government has announced that Eid Al-Adha will be celebrated on…

Fuel nozzle

BREAKING: No More N1320/Litre, Petrol Price Crashes At Depots Nationwide; New Rates Emerge

The price of petrol at various private depots across Nigeria recorded marginal…

Breaking Grounds: Tunji Alausa Flags Off Landmark Hostel Projects at LASU, YABATECH

● Education Minister leads groundbreaking ceremonies as Lagos institutions infrastructure reform ●FG-backed…

The Senate Beckons: Ogun East Unites Behind Dapo Abiodun

● Many Voices, One Mandate: Ogun Endorses Dapo Abiodun In a powerful…

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
TelegramFollow
WhatsAppFollow

You Might Also Like

N2.2b ‘fraud’: Ex-ICC man to try Supreme Court chiefs

November 18, 2016

Offa Robberies: Gang Leaders’ Evidence Enough To Prosecute Saraki –Police

November 23, 2018

Five Chibok parents received calls from missing girls’ mobiles

April 13, 2016

JUST IN: Court Dismisses Suit Against Dapo Abiodun

March 7, 2019

Categories

  • News
  • Homepage
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Top News
  • Highlife
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Inside Boardroom

About The Capital

We deliver premium coverage of business, politics, lifestyle, entertainment, and society stories shaping Nigeria and beyond. Through credible reporting, insightful features, and engaging digital storytelling, we keep readers informed on the people, trends, events, and conversations driving modern culture and public discourse.
Quick Links
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Connect with us on Social Media

Facebook X-twitter Whatsapp Envelope

Send us email: [email protected]

© thecapital.ng. All Rights Reserved. Designed by Semasir Connect.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?