By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
The CapitalThe CapitalThe Capital
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
      • Featured Profile
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Reading: BREAKING: Agbakoba Sues AGF Over Onnoghen’s Suspension
Share
Font ResizerAa
The CapitalThe Capital
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sports
Search
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
News

BREAKING: Agbakoba Sues AGF Over Onnoghen’s Suspension

February 7, 2019 4:02 pm
The Capital
Share
SHARE

A former President of the Nigerian Bar Association, Dr Olisa Agbakoba (SAN), has sued the Attorney General of the Federation, Mr Abubakar Malami (SAN), over the suspension of the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Walter Onnoghen, by President Muhammadu Buhari.

Buhari suspended Onnoghen as the CJN on January 25 over allegations of non-declaration of assets.

The President immediately swore in Justice Tanko Muhammad to replace Onnoghen in an acting capacity.

But Agbakoba, in his fresh suit before the Federal High Court in Lagos, said Onnoghen’s suspension by the President was illegal.

He urged the court to overturn it.

The second defendant in the suit is the National Judicial Council.

The Senate had earlier filed a similar suit before the Supreme Court, contending that Onnoghen’s suspension by Buhari was not procedural as it did not have the imput of the two-thirds majority of the Senate.

The Senate, however, withdrew the suit this week from the apex court, saying it would allow the NJC deal with the issues.

In an affidavit he filed in support of his suit, Agbakoba said, “I know that the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 provides for the removal of the Chief Justice of Nigeria and that the Chief Justice of Nigeria can only be removed based on the recommendation of the National Judicial Council or an address by the President supported by two-thirds majority of the Senate.

“I am fully aware that contrary to the provisions of the Constitution, the President suspended the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Walter Samuel Nkanu Onnoghen, based on an exparte order from the Code of Conduct Tribunal on the 25th of January 2019.”

See also  ‘At 27, I Was Married To Eight Boko Haram’ – Rescued Chibok Girl Shares Ugly Experience

You Might Also Like

BREAKING: Tinubu Okays Appointment Of Five New Permanent Secretaries
So Sad! Lagos Lawmaker, Tunde Braimoh, is Dead
Stop the rumour! President Buhari did not travel for ear infection treatment
BDC Operators Dare CBN, Sell Forex Above 2.5% Official Spread As Naira Falls To N920/$
Oando, AA Rano, Sahara Others Secure Fresh NNPC’s Oil Swaps Deal Worth $755m
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print

BREAKING: EFCC Arrests Buhari’s Former Minister From His Hiding Place

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arrested a former Minister…

FULL LIST: 47 Disqualified Senatorial Aspirants

The All Progressives Congress (APC) on Monday released the list of senatorial…

JUST IN: NDC Finally Names Presidential Aspirant for 2027 Election

Peter Obi, the former presidential candidate of the Labour Party, has been…

Tension in Kano as Gov Yusuf Sends Warning to Kwankwaso

Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf of Kano State has issued a stern warning…

APC Make U-Turn On Senatorial Primaries List

The All Progressives Congress has made a u-turn on its earlier list…

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
TelegramFollow
WhatsAppFollow

You Might Also Like

Cabinet Reshuffle: Tinubu May Redeploy Adelabu, Matawalle, Other
News

Nigeria Seeks $2bn From China For Power Grid

October 7, 2025

Randy Lawmaker in lustful escapades with three blood sisters

December 16, 2015

Lagos-Ibadan Expressway ready in 24 months –Fashola

February 10, 2016

Nigeria’s inaction delays recovery of $85million ex-Minister of Petroleum Dan Etete loot

September 11, 2016

Categories

  • News
  • Homepage
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Top News
  • Highlife
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Inside Boardroom

About The Capital

We deliver premium coverage of business, politics, lifestyle, entertainment, and society stories shaping Nigeria and beyond. Through credible reporting, insightful features, and engaging digital storytelling, we keep readers informed on the people, trends, events, and conversations driving modern culture and public discourse.
Quick Links
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Connect with us on Social Media

Facebook X-twitter Whatsapp Envelope

Send us email: [email protected]

© thecapital.ng. All Rights Reserved. Designed by Semasir Connect.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?