By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
The CapitalThe CapitalThe Capital
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
      • Featured Profile
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Reading: BREAKING: NDC Breaks Silence On Deal With Jonathan For 2027 Presidential Ticket
Share
Font ResizerAa
The CapitalThe Capital
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sports
Search
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
News

BREAKING: NDC Breaks Silence On Deal With Jonathan For 2027 Presidential Ticket

May 8, 2026 8:05 am
The Capital
Share
SHARE

The Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC) has dismissed speculations linking the party to an alleged pact with former President Goodluck Jonathan ahead of the 2027 presidential election.

The party insisted that consultations regarding its presidential ticket were still ongoing and that no final decision had been taken.

Speaking in Abuja on Thursday, the Deputy National Spokesman of the NDC, Abdulmumin Abdulsalam, said the party had neither zoned its presidential ticket nor reached any agreement with Jonathan.

“The NDC is a party that believes in merging ideas and consultations across boards,” he said.

“I can categorically tell you that we have not zoned the presidential ticket. Consultations are still ongoing since politics is a dynamic game.”

Abdulsalam disclosed that the NDC was attracting interest from several high-profile political figures across party lines, including members of the ruling party.

According to him, former governors, ex-ministers and serving or former lawmakers were already making moves towards the party ahead of the 2027 elections.

“As I speak to you, we are still expecting high-profile personalities, including former governors, ex-ministers, serving and former lawmakers, even from the ruling party,” he said.

“The NDC is the beautiful bride that everybody wants to have right now.”

Reacting to reports that the party could be considering Jonathan as its presidential candidate, Abdulsalam described the claims as speculation.

“This is another rumour making the rounds that former President Jonathan wants to pitch his tent in our party,” he stated.

“There is no concrete move like that in the hierarchy of our party, and such a decision has not been taken.”

See also  Nigerian Pastors, Imams Are More Corrupt Than Public Officers – EFCC Chair, Olukoyede Laments

Despite denying any existing arrangement, the party spokesman said Jonathan remained constitutionally qualified to contest for office if he chose to do so.

“But I can tell you that everything is still possible in the case of former President Jonathan,” Abdulsalam added.

“He is a Nigerian who is eminently qualified to fly the flag of the party on any platform of his choice. But as of today, we have no pact with him.”

You Might Also Like

Account for alleged missing $246m, Senate tells NAPTIMS
Christian Genocide: ECOWAS Breaks Silence On Trump’s Threat Against Nigeria
JUST IN: Ribadu Reacts To Death Of El-Rufai’s Mother
From poetry to politics: the transition of Odia Ofeimun
Tinubu, Oyegun row splits APC NWC members
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print

APC Make U-Turn On Senatorial Primaries List

The All Progressives Congress has made a u-turn on its earlier list…

Government Issues Fresh Update on Sallah Celebration

Saudi Arabia government has announced that Eid Al-Adha will be celebrated on…

Fuel nozzle

BREAKING: No More N1320/Litre, Petrol Price Crashes At Depots Nationwide; New Rates Emerge

The price of petrol at various private depots across Nigeria recorded marginal…

Breaking Grounds: Tunji Alausa Flags Off Landmark Hostel Projects at LASU, YABATECH

● Education Minister leads groundbreaking ceremonies as Lagos institutions infrastructure reform ●FG-backed…

The Senate Beckons: Ogun East Unites Behind Dapo Abiodun

● Many Voices, One Mandate: Ogun Endorses Dapo Abiodun In a powerful…

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
TelegramFollow
WhatsAppFollow

You Might Also Like

We ‘ll soon name ex-govt officials who returned loot — Buhari

December 12, 2015

COVID-19: UK Imposes Fresh Four-Week National Lockdown

October 31, 2020

Fasoranti Killing: We Have Made Arrests, Say Police

July 15, 2019

Again! Minister of Labour and Empowerment faults NECA for advising banks against directive halting sack of workers

June 13, 2016

Categories

  • News
  • Homepage
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Top News
  • Highlife
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Inside Boardroom

About The Capital

We deliver premium coverage of business, politics, lifestyle, entertainment, and society stories shaping Nigeria and beyond. Through credible reporting, insightful features, and engaging digital storytelling, we keep readers informed on the people, trends, events, and conversations driving modern culture and public discourse.
Quick Links
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Connect with us on Social Media

Facebook X-twitter Whatsapp Envelope

Send us email: [email protected]

© thecapital.ng. All Rights Reserved. Designed by Semasir Connect.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?