By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
The CapitalThe CapitalThe Capital
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
      • Featured Profile
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Reading: Buhari, Ajimobi, Akiolu make last-minute moves to save Ambode
Share
Font ResizerAa
The CapitalThe Capital
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sports
Search
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
News

Buhari, Ajimobi, Akiolu make last-minute moves to save Ambode

September 13, 2018 7:33 am
The Capital
Share
SHARE

*No rift between Tinubu and me – Ambode

President Muhammadu Buhari, Oyo State Governor, Abiola Ajimobi; and Oba of Lagos, Rilwan Akiolu, have embarked on a last-minute move to save Lagos State Governor, Akinwunmi Ambode, from an impending loss of the state All Progressives Congress ticket for the 2019 governorship election.

There had been reports that Ambode was no longer in the good books of an APC national leader, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, which might endanger his second term bid.

But the tension became palpable on Tuesday when two new aspirants under the APC umbrella – Dr Obafemi Hamzat and Jide Sanwoolu – emerged to vie for the governorship ticket with Ambode in the direct party primary billed to come up in two weeks’ time.

Hamzat and Sanwoolu, former commissioners in the state, were said to have claimed to have Tinubu’s backing.

Ambode was also said to have the APC national leader’s backing when he declared intention to go for a second term on Monday.

However, impeccable sources within the ruling party said on Wednesday that the prominent personalities including the President, the monarch and Ajimobi had stepped in to resolve the crisis, noting that the matter would be resolved.

“There are serious moves to end the crisis. Many people, including the President have waded in. And it is not yet too late for the issue to be resolved,” said the source.

“President Buhari, Governor Abiola Ajimobi of Oyo State and Oba Rilwan Akiolu are making efforts to ensure that the matter is resolved and Ambode’s second term bid is not terminated,” the source added.

See also  Don’t Question Me On How I Spent SURE-P Funds, Perm Sec Tells EFCC In Court

Another source said there was no problem between Ambode and his political father, Tinubu, but the governor was believed to have drawn the ire of party leaders and key supporters when he allegedly sidelined them from his administration.

Reminded that many APC members in the state were of the opinion that Ambode might fail to clinch the APC governorship ticket having been abandoned by the 57 local council chairmen in the state, the source said there was no cause for alarm.

He said the President, who was a father to all the APC members, would resolve the logjam.

Another source said the party elders, who were said to have sponsored Sanwoolu, had decided to open discussion on Ambode after pressure from different quarters.

Ambode on Wednesday however said there was no rift between him and Tinubu.

Ambode, who spoke to party faithful in Epe during the election of delegates for the presidential primary election and national convention of the APC, said “reports indicating a fight between me and Asiwaju Tinubu are out of place; there was no fight anywhere.”

He said, “The best is yet to come and the best will be what Lagos State deserves. I want you to continue with your prayers that at this time, God will show His hand and make sure that everything that is of blessing to Lagos State and also blessing to Epe will come to pass.

“I want to reiterate once again that our party, the All Progressives Congress remains the party to beat; we are the party at the national level and we are going to remain the party in the state.”

See also  JUST IN: Gunmen Kidnap ChannelsTV Reporter In Port-Harcourt, Demands Ransom

You Might Also Like

Access Bank appoints Roosevelt Ogbonna as Group Deputy Managing Director
BREAKING: French President, Macron, Hosts BUA Group Chairman, Abdulsamad Rabiu
FULL LIST: Tinubu Makes 8 Fresh Appointments As Resignations Rock Cabinet
Alaafin Warns Fayemi Over Attempt To Dethrone 16 Ekiti oba
2024 Hajj Scandal: Governor Bago Calls For Probe Into N90Billion Subsidy
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print

JUST IN: NDC Finally Names Presidential Aspirant for 2027 Election

Peter Obi, the former presidential candidate of the Labour Party, has been…

Tension in Kano as Gov Yusuf Sends Warning to Kwankwaso

Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf of Kano State has issued a stern warning…

APC Make U-Turn On Senatorial Primaries List

The All Progressives Congress has made a u-turn on its earlier list…

Government Issues Fresh Update on Sallah Celebration

Saudi Arabia government has announced that Eid Al-Adha will be celebrated on…

Fuel nozzle

BREAKING: No More N1320/Litre, Petrol Price Crashes At Depots Nationwide; New Rates Emerge

The price of petrol at various private depots across Nigeria recorded marginal…

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
TelegramFollow
WhatsAppFollow

You Might Also Like

EXPOSED! Obanikoro, Wife, Son Recover N500m Houses, Land From EFCC

November 25, 2018

Financial Impropriety: Buhari Approves Sack of NECO Registrar Uwakwe, Four Others

May 21, 2020
JUST IN: Ikeja Electric Reduces Tariff For Band A Customers
News

List Of Areas Newly Upgraded To Band A To Enjoy 20-24hrs Electricity

April 14, 2024

Ex-NIMASA DG re-arrested outside court premises

December 14, 2015

Categories

  • News
  • Homepage
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Top News
  • Highlife
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Inside Boardroom

About The Capital

We deliver premium coverage of business, politics, lifestyle, entertainment, and society stories shaping Nigeria and beyond. Through credible reporting, insightful features, and engaging digital storytelling, we keep readers informed on the people, trends, events, and conversations driving modern culture and public discourse.
Quick Links
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Connect with us on Social Media

Facebook X-twitter Whatsapp Envelope

Send us email: [email protected]

© thecapital.ng. All Rights Reserved. Designed by Semasir Connect.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?