By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
The CapitalThe CapitalThe Capital
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
      • Featured Profile
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Reading: CBN Commences Deduction of $2.1b Budget Support Facility From States’ Allocation
Share
Font ResizerAa
The CapitalThe Capital
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sports
Search
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
Business

CBN Commences Deduction of $2.1b Budget Support Facility From States’ Allocation

July 16, 2021 7:28 am
The Capital
Share
SHARE

State governments will begin the repayment of the $2.1 billion Budget Support Facility granted to them by the Federal Government this month.

This was announced at the National Economic Council (NEC) meeting on Thursday.

The Federal Government, through the Central bank of Nigerian (CBN) in July 2015, made available the facility when many states were unable to pay salaries and wages to their workers.

Only Lagos State did not obtain the facility.

States have been lobbying for deferment of payment until when Edo State Governor Godwin Obaseki accused the apex bank of printing naira to shore up the shortfall.

CBN Governor Godwin Emefiele who denied Obaseki’s claim said it was time for states to start repayment of the facility.

The states lobbied again to extend the time while Emefiele insisted. This led to the issue being referred to NEC for intervention.

On Thursday at its 118th meeting, Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning Mrs Zainab Ahmed said an agreement had been reached to start the deduction from the end of this month.

She said the CBN will however provide a bridge financing facility to states.

A spokesman for the office of Vice President Laolu Akande in a statement after the meeting presided over by Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, said the meeting received a briefing on the state of COVID-19.

He quoted Delta State Governor Ifeanyi Okowa as saying that, with the emergence of the Delta variant in Lagos State, there has been an increase in monitoring activities at entry points across the country.

“The committee noted that governors will continue to monitor the situation for the next one week to see if there will be a need for an emergency Ad-hoc committee meeting on the situation”, it said

See also  Senate Summons CBN Governor, SEC Chief Over Ban On Cryptocurrency Trading

Ahead of next week’s Edi Kabir festivities, NEC has urged strict adherence to COVID-19 response guidelines across the country, after receiving a state performance report from the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC).

Akande said: “The council received the state performance report on COVID-19 from Director-General of NCDC, Dr Chikwe Ihekweazu, who noted that the Delta variant is a new variant identified in 103 countries and is 60% more transmissible than the highly infectious Alpha variant which was previously identified.

“The DG said despite the low number of cases in the country, the positivity rate has gone up and Lagos State has a larger burden of 70%-80% cases in the country, having recorded an increase in the number of cases in the last 10 weeks.”

Regarding panels of inquiries in the states on EndSARS protests, Vice President Osinbajo noted that a number of states had submitted their reports and more reports are being awaited.

He encouraged state governments to turn in the reports while noting that the panels are still sitting in some States.

“According to the VP, the Council will have a full consideration on the reports from the states, make a compilation of the reports and review the implementation options.

“So far, reports have been received from Ekiti, Enugu, and Nasarawa while more reports are being awaited.

“Prof Osinbajo also encouraged the States that haven’t completed the panel’s work to send in interim reports,” the statement said.

The Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning, Mrs Zainab Ahmed, gave the Council an update on the statuses of Federation Accounts.

See also  DSS Parades Alleged Fraudster Who Breached Aso Villa Security

“Excess Crude Account, as of July 13, 2021, stood at $60,852,533.19; Stabilisation Account stood at N26,346,419,015.43; while Development of Natural Resources Account stood at N23,573,977,607.78”, the statement said.

You Might Also Like

NNPC saves $3b yearly from production cost cut
National Assembly Ask Aviation Minister, Keyamo To Revoke Oyedepo’s Living Faith Church Airstrip Licence
Press Release – UBA Meets NSE’s Stringent Corporate Governance Conditions, Lists on NSE Premium Board:
Fuel May Sell N1,200/Litre As NNPC Suspends Naira-For-Crude Deal For Dangote, Others
Supplementary Budget: FG Earmarks N2.55tr For Subsidy
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print

APC Primaries: List of Powerful Senators Who Lost Return Ticket Emerges

The ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) had its primary election for senatorial…

Femi Otedola First Bank Nigeria

The Otedola Effect: How a Boardroom Maverick Is Reshaping First Bank’s Future

● From Billionaire Mogul to Banking Reformer: He Is Rewriting First Bank’s…

BREAKING: EFCC Arrests Buhari’s Former Minister From His Hiding Place

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arrested a former Minister…

FULL LIST: 47 Disqualified Senatorial Aspirants

The All Progressives Congress (APC) on Monday released the list of senatorial…

JUST IN: NDC Finally Names Presidential Aspirant for 2027 Election

Peter Obi, the former presidential candidate of the Labour Party, has been…

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
TelegramFollow
WhatsAppFollow

You Might Also Like

Emirates Restores Flights To Lagos

September 1, 2022

ASUU To End Strike Today – Ngige

December 9, 2020
Business

FULL LIST: Federal Government Releases 2026 Approved Loan Apps.

January 9, 2026

WHO WILL SAVE SUJIMOTO FROM LOSING HIS MILLIONS TO BOWALE JOLAOSO’S PHANTOM OIL DEAL?

July 14, 2017

Categories

  • News
  • Homepage
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Top News
  • Highlife
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Inside Boardroom

About The Capital

We deliver premium coverage of business, politics, lifestyle, entertainment, and society stories shaping Nigeria and beyond. Through credible reporting, insightful features, and engaging digital storytelling, we keep readers informed on the people, trends, events, and conversations driving modern culture and public discourse.
Quick Links
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Connect with us on Social Media

Facebook X-twitter Whatsapp Envelope

Send us email: [email protected]

© thecapital.ng. All Rights Reserved. Designed by Semasir Connect.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?