By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
The CapitalThe CapitalThe Capital
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
      • Featured Profile
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Reading: COVID-19: FG Goes Tough, Slams Travel Ban on 100 Nigerians
Share
Font ResizerAa
The CapitalThe Capital
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sports
Search
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
Business

COVID-19: FG Goes Tough, Slams Travel Ban on 100 Nigerians

January 3, 2021 7:17 am
The Capital
Share
SHARE

The Federal Government on Saturday slammed a six-month travel ban on 100 passengers who failed to undergo the compulsory COVID-19 test after their return to the country.

The affected persons will not be allowed to leave Nigeria earlier than June 30, 2021, the Presidential Task Force on Covid-19 announced yesterday.

“The PTF has placed travel restrictions on the first 100 passengers for non-compliance to the mandatory Day 7 post-arrival COVID-19 test,” the PTF tweeted.

The restriction took effect from January 1, 2021 and will end at the end of June.

The names of the defaulters were not mentioned but a list containing their passport numbers was attached to the tweet.

It said all the people had been personally contacted.

In a separate statement, Chairman of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19, Mr. Boss Mustapha, who is also the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), said: “Based on presidential authority, travel restrictions are being placed on the following passports due to non-compliance to the mandatory Day 7 post-arrival COVID-19 PCR tests.

“Defaulting passengers have been notified and will be prevented from travelling out of the country during this period.”

A top source in PTF told The Nation that the list of the affected Nigerians had “been sent to the Nigerian Immigration Service (NIS) and other security agencies to stop them from travelling out.

“Any further defiance may lead to the cancellation of their passports. We are no longer going to tolerate any laxity on the part of any Nigerian, no matter how highly-placed,” the source said.

See also  Markets slump after Trump victory

On his part, the Director-General of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), Dr. Chikwe Ihekweazu, in a tweet, said: “We understand Nigerians’ urge to relax on compliance measures for #COVID19 prevention after a difficult year. The challenge is:  this virus doesn’t recognise human necessities to celebrate.

“Therefore we’ve sustained the response and must collectively take responsibility.”

“Thank you Nigerians and our partners for the support, as we led the public health response to the #COVID19 pandemic and other disease outbreaks in 2020.

“As the pandemic continues, please take responsibility. We remain committed to our mandate in protecting the health of Nigerians.”

Meanwhile, investigation confirmed last night that President Muhammadu Buhari may determine the fate of states with lukewarm attitude to COVID-19 management.

Some states were alleged to have shut down testing laboratories and isolation centres.

A PTF member said: “I think the President will determine the fate of recalcitrant states. In fact, some people have been pushing for the seizure of their monthly statutory allocations and other forms of sanctions.

“On our part, we have initiated discussions with the leadership of the Nigeria Governors’ Forum (NGF) on how to offer the best to Nigerians in this trying period.”

The SGF had on Tuesday listed the challenges being faced from the states by the PTF

He also spoke on the expectations of the PTF from states.

Mustapha said: “You will recall that we recently issued some protocols to states which a number of states have been actively implementing. We thank these states and urge others to follow suit.

See also  World Finance- First Bank: Feeding Nigeria’s 200 million people will be huge business.

“Closely related to these protocols is the fact that the strategy of testing to detect and treat remains central to the role states are expected to play.

“Data show that despite the resources already made available to sub-national entities, testing is very low across states in varying degrees. This is not helping our national response.

“Indeed, some states have not reported any infections in several weeks. Reports received also point to the fact that laboratories recently established in the states are not working optimally.

“You will recall that we moved from two laboratories to about 90 (public & private) located in all states of the federation.

“Their inability to function optimally has resulted in unacceptable levels of delay in receiving results and pressure on the National Reference Labs.

“We wish to urge all states to reopen all laboratories and ensure that testing is expanded and turnaround time for results is substantially reduced.

‘In the same vein, states should please keep their isolation/treatment centres open because of the rising cases of infection nationwide.”

You Might Also Like

JUST IN: CBN Injects $500m Into Forex Market, Vows To Clear Backlog Soon
Latest Update: Naira Puts Strong Dollar In Check At Official, Parallel Markets
Fuel Queues Will Disappear In Few Days, MOAN Assures
“PRICE WAR”: Oil Marketers Vow to Sell Petrol Below N1,028 Per Litre As Importation Landing Cost Reportedly Crashes To N800
US Threatens to Withdraw $380 Abacha Loot
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print

[BREAKING] 2027 Election: Tinubu Rejects Top APC Governor’s Second Term Bid

Barring any unforeseen circumstances, Rivers State Governor, Siminalayi Fubara’s re-election bid on…

APC Primaries: List of Powerful Senators Who Lost Return Ticket Emerges

The ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) had its primary election for senatorial…

Femi Otedola First Bank Nigeria

The Otedola Effect: How a Boardroom Maverick Is Reshaping First Bank’s Future

● From Billionaire Mogul to Banking Reformer: He Is Rewriting First Bank’s…

BREAKING: EFCC Arrests Buhari’s Former Minister From His Hiding Place

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arrested a former Minister…

FULL LIST: 47 Disqualified Senatorial Aspirants

The All Progressives Congress (APC) on Monday released the list of senatorial…

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
TelegramFollow
WhatsAppFollow

You Might Also Like

EXPOSED: Smuggled Nigerian Petrol Floods W’African Markets, Sells N1,700/Litre
Business

NO MORE 950/LITRE: Reno Omokri Reacts As Petrol Price Crashes, “Nigeria Shall Be Good in Our Lifetime”

April 11, 2025

We won’t reverse forex ban on 41 items – CBN

January 28, 2017

CBN lifts forex market with $195m

June 29, 2017
APC Chieftain Begs Nigerians to Shelve Protest, Say Tinubu will Stabilise Economy
Business

New Petrol Price Coming As FG, NNPC, Dangote Refinery Agree on New Petrol Lifting, Subsidy Payment As Petrol Price Rises

October 8, 2024

Categories

  • News
  • Homepage
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Top News
  • Highlife
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Inside Boardroom

About The Capital

We deliver premium coverage of business, politics, lifestyle, entertainment, and society stories shaping Nigeria and beyond. Through credible reporting, insightful features, and engaging digital storytelling, we keep readers informed on the people, trends, events, and conversations driving modern culture and public discourse.
Quick Links
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Connect with us on Social Media

Facebook X-twitter Whatsapp Envelope

Send us email: [email protected]

© thecapital.ng. All Rights Reserved. Designed by Semasir Connect.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?