By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
The CapitalThe CapitalThe Capital
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
      • Featured Profile
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Reading: Diezani cash: EFCC rejects ex-minister’s settlement offer
Share
Font ResizerAa
The CapitalThe Capital
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sports
Search
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
News

Diezani cash: EFCC rejects ex-minister’s settlement offer

February 23, 2018 7:02 am
The Capital
Share
SHARE

The Economi and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has rejected an offer for an out-of-court settlement by a former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Jumoke Akinjide, who was accused of money laundering.

Akinjide was charged with former Minister of Petroleum Resources, Mrs. Diezani Alison-Madueke (who is said to be at large), a former Senator Ayo Adeseun and a People’s Democratic Party (PDP) stalwart, Chief Olarenwaju Otiti.

They were accused of conspiring to directly take possession of N650 million, which they reasonably ought to have known forms part of the proceeds of an unlawful act and without going through a financial institution.

Justice Muslim Hassan had adjourned to enable parties conclude the settlement talks after Akinjide’s lawyer Chief Bolaji Ayorinde (SAN) reported that the N650 million had been returned.

Yesterday, EFCC’s lawyer Nnaemeka Omenwa, who stood in for Rotimi Oyedepo, said he was instructed to turn down the proposal.

“I have instruction to reject the proposal as it’s not in line with the provisions of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA). Based on that, we’re ready to go on with the trial, subject to your Lordship’s overriding convenience,” he said.

But defence counsel Ayorinde and Michael Lana (for second defendant) accused Oyedepo of a breach of agreement.

Ayorinde said the defendants made a proposal to the prosecution in line with Section 14 of the EFCC Act.

“For the purposes of your Lordship’s record and because of the public interest that this case seems to unnecessarily attract, our proposal was made in accordance with established laws and there is no fixation on Section 270 of the ACJA.

See also  Breaking!!! Mo Abudu To Chair Emmy Awards Gala

“We’re very confident that this case is a sham and we’ll defend it vigorously. It’s political and we’ll show that it’s unnecessary and a waste of time and resources of the court,” Ayorinde said.

Lana accused EFCC of breaching an agreement reached by parties with regards to the settlement, saying it amounted to a “betrayal”.

He said the defendants agreed to withdraw a civil suit against EFCC and Oyedepo after the prosecuting counsel indicated that the commission was open to an out of court settlement.

“Their refusal to consider the terms of settlement is to say the least a betrayal of trust by a lawyer. A representation was made to us that we should withdraw a civil suit we filed. Oyedepo is the first defendant in the suit.

“He made a proposal to us which we believed. On the day of the first arraignment in Ibadan, Oyedepo and Chief Ayorinde informed the court that they had agreed to settle. But the judge decided that the defendants should be arraigned while the talks continued.

“We withdrew the suit and the money they requested was paid. That’s why we were surprised when we received a hearing notice. A lawyer’s words should be sacrosanct. That’s an abuse of office. Oyedepo was the initiator of the settlement. That’s like 419. We’re highly disappointed with Oyedepo,” Lana said.

But, Omenwa denied that the case was politically motivated, adding that there was no proof to support the claims against Oyedepo.

“The EFCC is not a political party. We’re an independent organisation and are not out to witch-hunt anybody.

See also  CBN Policy: Why Next Few Months Will Be Difficult For Nigerians – Obaseki

“There is no documentary evidence that they had any such agreement with Oyedepo that they should withdraw their suit. There’s no evidence before my Lord,” he said.

In his ruling, Justice Hassan said since settlement talks had “broken down,” EFCC was at liberty to call its witness.

Trial began immediately with Omenwa calling the first witness, a banker, Mrs. Kehinde Adeniyi, who said she is the head of Customer Relations at her bank’s Dugbe, Ibadan branch. She said she knew Akinjide and Adeseun.

Asked to narrate her connection with them, she said: “On March 26, 2015, I received a call from our Head of Operations Mr. Martins Izuegbe that we should pay the sum of N650 million to Akinjide, Adeseun and Hon. Taiwo Yinka once they produce two means of identification and sign a receipt of payment.

“They came, signed and the payment was made. The payment was in naira. They came with their Hillux van to pick up the cash in a box.”

The receipt of payment was tendered in evidence.

The witness said under cross examination by Ayorinde that she made three statements at the EFCC, which were also tendered in evidence.

Mrs. Adeniyi said she merely carried out instructions and that she did not know the source of the funds.

She added that she knew Mrs. Alison-Madueke and that she did not know how the money was used.

Justice Hassan adjourned until March 8 and 9 for continuation of trial

You Might Also Like

TB Joshua Raped, Tortured Members – BBC Investigation
PLANE CRASHES, Nigerian Authority Launches Investigation | Tinubu Issues Fresh Directives
Coalition Hails Tinubu over Ugwuanyi’s Ambassadorial Nomination
Atiku Exposed: Document Shows How Wike’s Name Was Removed As 2023 VP Candidate, Favoured Okowa
Sanusi Carpets NNPCL, Doubts Dollar Remittance After Subsidy Removal
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print

BREAKING: EFCC Arrests Buhari’s Former Minister From His Hiding Place

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arrested a former Minister…

FULL LIST: 47 Disqualified Senatorial Aspirants

The All Progressives Congress (APC) on Monday released the list of senatorial…

JUST IN: NDC Finally Names Presidential Aspirant for 2027 Election

Peter Obi, the former presidential candidate of the Labour Party, has been…

Tension in Kano as Gov Yusuf Sends Warning to Kwankwaso

Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf of Kano State has issued a stern warning…

APC Make U-Turn On Senatorial Primaries List

The All Progressives Congress has made a u-turn on its earlier list…

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
TelegramFollow
WhatsAppFollow

You Might Also Like

News

Femi Fani-Kayode

March 2, 2015

Warri Succession Crisis: Ayiri Emami Heads To Court, Says I’m Next To Olu

July 11, 2021

Revealed: How $22.3m hit Jonathan’s wife’s accounts

September 14, 2016

Sex scandal: US govt cancels three Reps’ visas, Dogara orders probe

June 17, 2016

Categories

  • News
  • Homepage
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Top News
  • Highlife
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Inside Boardroom

About The Capital

We deliver premium coverage of business, politics, lifestyle, entertainment, and society stories shaping Nigeria and beyond. Through credible reporting, insightful features, and engaging digital storytelling, we keep readers informed on the people, trends, events, and conversations driving modern culture and public discourse.
Quick Links
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Connect with us on Social Media

Facebook X-twitter Whatsapp Envelope

Send us email: [email protected]

© thecapital.ng. All Rights Reserved. Designed by Semasir Connect.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?