By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
The CapitalThe CapitalThe Capital
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
      • Featured Profile
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Reading: EFCC probes ex-MILAD, other over Diezani’s N4bn hotel deal
Share
Font ResizerAa
The CapitalThe Capital
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sports
Search
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
News

EFCC probes ex-MILAD, other over Diezani’s N4bn hotel deal

October 1, 2016 3:22 am
The Capital
Share
SHARE

A former state military administrator is not telling the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) how he came about the N4billion in Abuja with which he built a four-star hotel in Abuja that was later sold to former Minister of Petroleum Resources, Mrs. Diezani Alison-Madueke.

The anti-graft agency has already invited all those connected with the transaction between the ex-MILAD and the embattled ex-Minister.

Our correspondent gathered authoritatively last night that the hotel could be seized by the EFCC.

The ex-MILAD is also said to have been implicated in a $318m mono-rail project in Rivers State.

Investigation by our correspondent revealed that EFCC investigators,after examining the ex-MILAD’s accounts, are now seeking details of the offices held by the retired Brigadier-General, his pay slips,retirement benefits and accruing pensions.

The investigation of the ex-MILAD may extend to his stakes in some high net worth companies including one of the firms involved in a $318m rail project.

A top source familiar with the probe said: “Apart from establishing the purchase deal, we are looking into the accounts and business activities of the former MILAD, who retired as a Brigadier-General. We want to establish how he came about the N4billion hotel and whether or not he is a business front for some political office holders.

“We are in touch with the army authorities to seek the details of the offices held by the former Brigadier-General, his pay slips and retirement benefits and accruing pensions. We want to trace his records.

“We have just discovered that he was allegedly involved in a $318million rail project in Rivers State. This dimension is expanding the scope of our ongoing investigation of the ex-MILAD.

See also  EFCC recovers N329b from marketers

“At a point, the former MILAD was linked to botched plans to buy Metropolitan Hotel in Calabar. You can see that we have his dossiers.”

Responding to a question, the source added: “So far, we have invited all those connected with the hotel deal between the ex-MILAD and Diezani for interrogation. Some of them include bankers and estate agents.

“One crucial aspect of the investigation of Diezani’s hotel deal is that there were elements of e-transactions when the hotel was bought. We can easily trace all the links.”

The source said after diligent investigation, the EFCC might seize the hotel in line with the Interim Assets Forfeiture Clause in EFCC Act.

Sections 28 and 34 of the EFCC (Establishment Act) 2004 and Section 13(1) of the Federal High Court Act, 2004 empower the anti-graft agency to invoke Interim Assets Forfeiture Clause.

“Section 28 of the EFCC Act reads: ‘Where a person is arrested for an offence under this Act, the Commission shall immediately trace and attach all the assets and properties of the person acquired as a result of such economic or financial crime and shall thereafter cause to be obtained an interim attachment order from the Court.’

Section 13 of the Federal High Court Act reads in part: “The Court may grant an injunction or appoint a receiver by an interlocutory order in all cases in which it appears to the Court to be just or convenient so to do.

“Any such order may be made either unconditionally or on such terms and conditions as the Court thinks just.”

See also  2019 poll: Osinbajo, Atiku renew restructuring battle

The National Crime Agency (NCA) in the UK arrested and quizzed Diezani and four others on October 2, 2015 for alleged bribery and corruption and money laundering.

The EFCC is understood to have also quizzed three to five more suspects since the interrogation of Diezani by the NCA.

NCA last year obtained permission from a Westminster Magistrate’s Court to seize 27,000 pounds from Diezani and two other women.

-The Nation

You Might Also Like

Tapswap Pandemic: Businesswoman Reveals Why She Won’t Join Nigerians As She Exposed Owner Of Game
INTERVIEW: NATCOM Acting DG, Rewane Adegbenro Speaks On Insecurity, Economy, Others
ASHAFA ATTRIBUTES SLOW PROCUREMENT PROCESS TO POOR FUNDING, CALLS ON BUHARI TO SIGN AMENDMENT TO PROCUREMENT ACT
Transfer Bombshell: Why Osimhen Won’t Join Chelsea Even With Highest Earning Salary; Two Likely EPL Clubs To Sign Him Revealed
The Sun Newspaper Returns N9million It Got From Ex-NSA, Dasuki
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print

BREAKING: EFCC Arrests Buhari’s Former Minister From His Hiding Place

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arrested a former Minister…

FULL LIST: 47 Disqualified Senatorial Aspirants

The All Progressives Congress (APC) on Monday released the list of senatorial…

JUST IN: NDC Finally Names Presidential Aspirant for 2027 Election

Peter Obi, the former presidential candidate of the Labour Party, has been…

Tension in Kano as Gov Yusuf Sends Warning to Kwankwaso

Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf of Kano State has issued a stern warning…

APC Make U-Turn On Senatorial Primaries List

The All Progressives Congress has made a u-turn on its earlier list…

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
TelegramFollow
WhatsAppFollow

You Might Also Like

BREAKING: Appeal Court Reinstates Adeleke As Osun Governor

March 24, 2023

CBN suspends N213bn power intervention funds’ disbursement

November 19, 2015

Ashura Day: Shi’ites dare security, vow to storm streets

September 19, 2018

Ambode vows to tackle traffic gridlock

November 12, 2015

Categories

  • News
  • Homepage
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Top News
  • Highlife
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Inside Boardroom

About The Capital

We deliver premium coverage of business, politics, lifestyle, entertainment, and society stories shaping Nigeria and beyond. Through credible reporting, insightful features, and engaging digital storytelling, we keep readers informed on the people, trends, events, and conversations driving modern culture and public discourse.
Quick Links
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Connect with us on Social Media

Facebook X-twitter Whatsapp Envelope

Send us email: [email protected]

© thecapital.ng. All Rights Reserved. Designed by Semasir Connect.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?