By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
The CapitalThe CapitalThe Capital
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
      • Featured Profile
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Reading: El-Rufai Withdraws Interest In Ministerial Appointment
Share
Font ResizerAa
The CapitalThe Capital
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sports
Search
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
Politics

El-Rufai Withdraws Interest In Ministerial Appointment

August 11, 2023 10:54 am
The Capital
Share
SHARE

Nasir El-Rufai, a former governor of Kaduna State, has decided against joining President Bola Tinubu’s government.

According to sources in the presidency, Mr. El-Rufai informed President Tinubu during a meeting on Tuesday that he was no longer interested in becoming a minister but would still make his contribution as a private citizen to the development of Nigeria.

“He also told the president that he needed time to focus on his doctorate program at a university in The Netherlands,” one of the sources said.

Another insider told this medium that the former governor suggested a new ministerial nominee, Jafaru Ibrahim Sani, for Kaduna State, saying the President would find him useful and resourceful.

Mr. Sani served as commissioner in three ministries in Kaduna State (Local Government Education and Environment) while Mr El-Rufai was governor.

Mr. El-Rufai visited the President at the presidential villa a day after the Senate confirmed 45 ministerial nominees after a week-long screening of 48 of them.

The upper legislative chamber, however, withheld his confirmation and those of two others, citing security reports from the State Security Service for the action.

The two others were a former senator from Taraba, Sani Danladi, and a nominee from Delta State, Stella Okotete.

Sources said on becoming aware of the Senate pronouncement on his case, Mr. El-Rufai, who only returned to Nigeria from London on Monday, sought and got an appointment to meet the president.

At the meeting on Tuesday afternoon, President Tinubu, according to our sources, told the former governor he received some petitions critical of his ministerial nomination.

The president then asked for 24 hours grace to review the petitions and the SSS report to the Senate to enable him to reach a decision.

See also  Breaking: Oil Mogul, Scott Tommey, Turns 50 In Few Days

At that point, Mr. El-Rufai responded that he was no longer interested in being a minister since it appeared some forces around the president were scheming intensely to block his emergence as federal minister.

Mr. El-Rufai disclosed during his confirmation hearing on 1 August that Mr. Tinubu asked him to work with him on the country’s power problem.

According to him, the President had given a target of seven years for Nigeria to stop experiencing power outages in the country.

At the Tuesday meeting, Mr. El-Rufai also reportedly told the President that since he would no longer be in the federal executive council, he would return the next day with his team to present the preliminary work done so far on the energy sector.

The team that accompanied the former governor to make presentations to the president on Wednesday includes Eyo Ekpo, a former commissioner at the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC); Hafiz Bayero, a former commissioner and administrator of the Kaduna Capital Territory Authority; Tolu Oyekan of the Boston Consulting Group and Ayodele Oni, a lawyer.

Olu Verheijen, the special adviser to the President on Energy Matters, presented on Gas.

Mr. El-Rufai is studying for a doctorate in public policy at the United Nations University, Maastricht.

His associates say as he prepared to leave office as governor in May this year, he had indicated his desire to exit public life and concentrate on his Ph.D. program.

But that was until then President-elect Tinubu asked him to join his cabinet so he could charge him with the responsibility of repositioning the inefficient power sector in Africa’s largest economy.

See also  I won’t abandon APC, says Tinubu

It is unclear what suddenly went wrong between the two men such that an agency of government would block Mr. El-Rufai’s ministerial nomination without the president lifting a finger.

When contacted, Muyiwa Adekeye, the media adviser to Mr. El-Rufai, declined to comment for this story.

 

 

– Credit: Premium Times

You Might Also Like

BREAKING! Buhari declares June 12 Democracy Day, honours MKO Abiola with GCFR
Gumi Attacks Security Agencies, Says, They Have No Right To Declare Anyone Terror Financier 
Pro- Biafra Group Gives Uzodinma Two Weeks to Vacate Seat
Aregbesola To Dump APC, Set To Announce New Party
2027: APC Breaks Silence on VP Shettima’s Potential Replacement
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print

[BREAKING] 2027 Election: Tinubu Rejects Top APC Governor’s Second Term Bid

Barring any unforeseen circumstances, Rivers State Governor, Siminalayi Fubara’s re-election bid on…

APC Primaries: List of Powerful Senators Who Lost Return Ticket Emerges

The ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) had its primary election for senatorial…

Femi Otedola First Bank Nigeria

The Otedola Effect: How a Boardroom Maverick Is Reshaping First Bank’s Future

● From Billionaire Mogul to Banking Reformer: He Is Rewriting First Bank’s…

BREAKING: EFCC Arrests Buhari’s Former Minister From His Hiding Place

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arrested a former Minister…

FULL LIST: 47 Disqualified Senatorial Aspirants

The All Progressives Congress (APC) on Monday released the list of senatorial…

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
TelegramFollow
WhatsAppFollow

You Might Also Like

Nnamani Blasts Peter Obi For Weaponising Religion, Ethnicity

April 2, 2023

APC moves to reconcile Buhari, Saraki, others

March 19, 2018

2027 Election: Not Jonathan, Obi, PDP Reveals More Presidential Aspirants

September 14, 2025

Gov. Ambode…The Afflictions Of A Super Administrator

May 16, 2018

Categories

  • News
  • Homepage
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Top News
  • Highlife
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Inside Boardroom

About The Capital

We deliver premium coverage of business, politics, lifestyle, entertainment, and society stories shaping Nigeria and beyond. Through credible reporting, insightful features, and engaging digital storytelling, we keep readers informed on the people, trends, events, and conversations driving modern culture and public discourse.
Quick Links
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Connect with us on Social Media

Facebook X-twitter Whatsapp Envelope

Send us email: [email protected]

© thecapital.ng. All Rights Reserved. Designed by Semasir Connect.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?