By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
The CapitalThe CapitalThe Capital
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
      • Featured Profile
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Reading: Fear Over Possible Attack on National Assembly Complex
Share
Font ResizerAa
The CapitalThe Capital
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sports
Search
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
NewsPolitics

Fear Over Possible Attack on National Assembly Complex

February 12, 2020 7:44 pm
The Capital
Share
SHARE

The National Assembly, the apex law making body of the country, has been invaded by strange, suspicious looking persons, it was learnt on Wednesday.

The appearance of the suspicious persons, it was gathered, is raising fears of a possible attack on the complex.

Findings showed that signals from security conscious personnel of the National Assembly indicated that in the last few days, the complex had been flooded with “strange persons dressed in funny looking attires.”

The strange and suspicious faces were said to have continued to find their ways into the complex by claiming to be constituents of some lawmakers.

The claim, a security source said, “enables the invaders to beat security checks thereby endangering lives and property.”

Contacted, Director, Public Affairs, Yahaya Dan-Zaria, also expressed concerns over the development.

He however assured that steps were being taken to nip the situation in the bud in the interest of law- abiding Nigerians in and around the National Assembly complex.

Another top official of the National Assembly, who chose to remain anonymous, also collaborated the development.

He said: “Yes, we have this dangerous intelligence reports that the National Assembly may be a victim of terrorist attack and we are not joking with it.

“Several steps are being taken but many stakeholders are not showing the needed co-operation.

“The way strange and very suspicious looking persons throng the National Assembly complex in recent times is worrisome.
“The situation has overstretched security architecture in the Assembly. Many of them if confronted at the gates are quick to resort to claims of being constituents of one lawmaker or the other.

See also  Samad Rabiu’s Brother, Kabiru Turns 40... The Lavida Loca Lifestyle of the Billionaire Offspring

“The point must be made that the National Assembly is not a place to meet constituents or have any form of ceremony with them. It is a place for serious legislative businesses bordering on the country’s socio-political and economic life.

“Again, the point must be made that the kind of persons who now seat as members of both chambers of the National Assembly are such that command security attention.

“They are people who had held very prominent and sensitive positions at various levels in the recent past. “Having occupied such positions meant more security burden on the National Assembly to forestall eventuality of any sort.”

Apparently to contain the situation, a security sub-committee set up by the Clerk to the National Assembly, Mohammed Sani-Omolori, recommended that “an arms bearing elite force be established for the National Assembly.”

Also before the end of 2019, a twelve member ad-hoc committee was constituted to work out some remedial measures to secure the National Assembly.

The Sergeant-at-arms, Brigadier General Mohammed Sani Danwalis (rtd), who headed the committee, recommended a series of measures which must be taken to deal with the situation.

It was gathered that some of the key aspects of the recommendations were yet to be addressed.

Part of the recommendations of the security committee included :

*Rationalisation of banks and other business outfits whose operations are neither incidental nor complementary to the functions of the National Assembly.

*Leadership of the Senate and the House of Representatives should prevail on legislators to submit themselves to security checks, especially at the point of entry into the National Assembly:

See also  SHOCKER! Akeredolu beats Abraham to win Ondo APC ticket

*Security clearance should be a major requirement for engaging legislative aides. Also, renewal of identity cards for legislative aides should be made annually.

*The Directorate of Human Resources and Staff Development should maintain a data base on all staff, legislative aides and legislators which should be shared with all security agencies.

*The Management of the National Assembly should advise security chiefs to desist from bearing arms within the precincts of the National Assembly;

*The Directorate of Research and Information, in conjunction with security agencies, must ensure that journalists practicing in the National Assembly are accredited on a yearly basis.

You Might Also Like

Boko Haram attacks on troops: Buhari summons service chiefs
Arms: Contracts, payments endorsed by ex-president Jonathan – Dasuki
Sunday Igboho Vows To Shutdown Nigeria -Yoruba Nation Agitator Plans Massive Protest Against Tinubu’s Government
Anthony Joshua Secures $50million In Saudi Arabia Bout
Alleged N33bn Fraud: You’ve Questions to Answer, Reps tell Osinbajo
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print

FULL LIST: 47 Disqualified Senatorial Aspirants

The All Progressives Congress (APC) on Monday released the list of senatorial…

JUST IN: NDC Finally Names Presidential Aspirant for 2027 Election

Peter Obi, the former presidential candidate of the Labour Party, has been…

Tension in Kano as Gov Yusuf Sends Warning to Kwankwaso

Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf of Kano State has issued a stern warning…

APC Make U-Turn On Senatorial Primaries List

The All Progressives Congress has made a u-turn on its earlier list…

Government Issues Fresh Update on Sallah Celebration

Saudi Arabia government has announced that Eid Al-Adha will be celebrated on…

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
TelegramFollow
WhatsAppFollow

You Might Also Like

The Humbling of Toyin Saraki… Why Omolewa Ahmed Is having The Last Laugh

March 3, 2019
Aregbesola To Dump APC, Set To Announce New Party
Politics

Alleged Anti-Party: Why Aregbesola Turned Deaf Ear To Suspension By APC

November 2, 2024

Billionaire Church! Popular Pastor donates N1 Billion Land to Christ Embassy

February 3, 2016

‘Emefielenomics’: Dissecting CBN Governor’s Ambitious Agenda

July 11, 2019

Categories

  • News
  • Homepage
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Top News
  • Highlife
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Inside Boardroom

About The Capital

We deliver premium coverage of business, politics, lifestyle, entertainment, and society stories shaping Nigeria and beyond. Through credible reporting, insightful features, and engaging digital storytelling, we keep readers informed on the people, trends, events, and conversations driving modern culture and public discourse.
Quick Links
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Connect with us on Social Media

Facebook X-twitter Whatsapp Envelope

Send us email: [email protected]

© thecapital.ng. All Rights Reserved. Designed by Semasir Connect.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?