By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
The CapitalThe CapitalThe Capital
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
      • Featured Profile
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Reading: FG charges Dokpesi with money laundering
Share
Font ResizerAa
The CapitalThe Capital
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sports
Search
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
News

FG charges Dokpesi with money laundering

December 8, 2015 6:50 pm
The Capital
Share
SHARE

The Federal Government Tuesday filed charges against businessman and media proprietor, Raymond Dokpesi before the Federal high Court, Abuja in relation to his alleged receipt of about N2.1billion in the from the last administration from funds meant for the purchase of arms.

Dokpesi is charged along with his company – Daar Holding and Investment Limited.
They are accused of violating the Money Laundering Act, the EFCC Act and the Public Procurement Act. The charge is yet to be assigned to any judge for hearing.

Dokpesi is the second person to be charged among some highly placed Nigerians accused of involvement in the mismanagement funds meant for the purchase of military wares under the Goodluck Jonathan administration.Already, a former National Security Adviser (NSA), Sambo Mohammed Dasuki is being tried before the Federal High Court, Abuja for illegal possession of firearms and money laundering.

Dokpsi, who is currently on bail from the EFCC, was last Friday ordered to be produced by Justice Gabriel Kolawole (also of the Federal High Court, Abuja)
The order followed an ex-parte application by Dokpesi, who claimed to have been unlawfully detained beyond 48 hours by the EFCC.

The judge, who heard Dokpesi’s lawyer, Mike Ozekhome (SAN) in chambers, ordered the EFCC to produce Dokpesi before his court on the next hearing date ofDecember 14.

Ozekhome, who told journalists what happened in the judge’s chambers, said the judge also ordered the EFCC to show cause why he should not grant Dokpesi’s prayer for unconditional or conditional bail.
Dokpesi had, in the application, prayed for an order compelling the respondent to produce the applicant who is presently in its custody or any other place of detention before this court on the date this application comes up for hearing.

See also  Silent Achiever! Gov. Ambode enters into a historic partnership to make Lagos Africa’s first Smart City after Dubai

He also sought an order admitting the applicant to bail on self recognisance or on such favourable and liberal terms as this court may deem fit to make in the circumstances of this case, pending the formal arraignment of the applicant before a court of law.

He hinged his prayers on the ground that no formal charge has been brought against him, over 48 hours after his detention. The applicant said he went to honour a verbal invitation from officials of the EFCC on December 1 and had been detained since then after subjecting him to hours of “unprepared interrogation.”

He argued that the offences alleged against him “are ordinarily bailable.”
He promised not to jump bail, not to interfere with witnesses or the course of justice if any formal charge was filed against him.

Dokpesi said, with his social status, the court could grant him bail on liberal terms. Or on self recognisance as he has no criminal antecedents or record.
He promised to attend court if eventually he is formally arraigned.

In a supporting affidavit, the applicant said he was arrested over his inability to honour an invitation by the office of the National Security Adviser (NSA) inviting Daar Investment and Holding Limited (an arm of Daar Communications Ltd) “for discussion on the supply and services rendered to the Office of the NSA.”

He stated that while he was yet to perfect the bail granted him by the EFCC “on the most onerous,” it went before a Magistrate’s Court to procure an order to legitimise and further detain him.

See also  Ibori Loot: We Won’t Speculate For Now – Delta Govt

You Might Also Like

Disquiet in Presidency over extension of Perm Sec’s tenure
Naira Marley Made Use Of Electronic Tools To Access Compromised Credit Cards – EFCC
2027 Election: Why Peter Obi Can’t Secures PDP Presidential Ticket? Reasons Emerge
More Than Just A Birth Story: 70-Year-Old Woman Gives Birth To Twins
Why Osinbajo’s Helicopter Crashed, by Investigation Bureau
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print

APC Make U-Turn On Senatorial Primaries List

The All Progressives Congress has made a u-turn on its earlier list…

Government Issues Fresh Update on Sallah Celebration

Saudi Arabia government has announced that Eid Al-Adha will be celebrated on…

Fuel nozzle

BREAKING: No More N1320/Litre, Petrol Price Crashes At Depots Nationwide; New Rates Emerge

The price of petrol at various private depots across Nigeria recorded marginal…

Breaking Grounds: Tunji Alausa Flags Off Landmark Hostel Projects at LASU, YABATECH

● Education Minister leads groundbreaking ceremonies as Lagos institutions infrastructure reform ●FG-backed…

The Senate Beckons: Ogun East Unites Behind Dapo Abiodun

● Many Voices, One Mandate: Ogun Endorses Dapo Abiodun In a powerful…

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
TelegramFollow
WhatsAppFollow

You Might Also Like

Obiano’s Wife, Bianca Ojukwu Fight Dirty At Soludo’s Inauguration

March 17, 2022

I’m A Model Not A Lawyer, Ifunanya Replies NBA, As NBA Petition Against Her

August 25, 2023

Unilorin Spends N1.3bn On Electricity Annually – VC

January 9, 2024

NIMASA pays N9.975b, $38m into Consolidated Revenue Fund

September 25, 2017

Categories

  • News
  • Homepage
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Top News
  • Highlife
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Inside Boardroom

About The Capital

We deliver premium coverage of business, politics, lifestyle, entertainment, and society stories shaping Nigeria and beyond. Through credible reporting, insightful features, and engaging digital storytelling, we keep readers informed on the people, trends, events, and conversations driving modern culture and public discourse.
Quick Links
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Connect with us on Social Media

Facebook X-twitter Whatsapp Envelope

Send us email: [email protected]

© thecapital.ng. All Rights Reserved. Designed by Semasir Connect.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?