By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
The CapitalThe CapitalThe Capital
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
      • Featured Profile
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Reading: Igboho’s Men Dare Police Over Lagos Rally
Share
Font ResizerAa
The CapitalThe Capital
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sports
Search
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
News

Igboho’s Men Dare Police Over Lagos Rally

July 3, 2021 8:22 am
The Capital
Share
SHARE

Agitators for Yoruba nation appear to be heading on a collision course with security agents in Lagos today.

The agitators vowed yesterday to press ahead with their rally in spite of police warning that they should desist.

Olayomi Koiki, spokesman for the embattled Yoruba youth activist and one of the prime movers of the agitation Sunday Igboho, said the rally would go ahead as planned.

Organisers of the Lagos rally and the umbrella body of Yoruba self-determination groups, Ilana Omo Oodua (IOO), also insisted on going ahead with the rally today.

But the Police asked the secessionists to steer clear of Lagos.

Igboho, speaking from his hideout yesterday, accused President Muhammadu Buhari and the federal government of persecuting him for his “resistance to the incessant killing, raping and kidnapping of my people in Southwest Nigeria by armed Fulani herdsmen.”

Igboho, who was declared wanted by the Department of State Security (DSS) soon after the raid of his Ibadan house on Wednesday, said in a lengthy statement that government was out to “forcefully silence me so that the criminal herdsmen, who enjoy government’s sympathy, protection and immunity, can easily outrun the Southwest.”

Igboho had announced the suspension of the rally soon after the raid on his house only for his spokesman, Koiki, to declare yesterday that the rally would proceed as originally scheduled.

Koiki conveyed a message from Igboho to his supporters ”not to be weighed down about what happened, he is standing with the Yoruba Nation agenda,” a veiled reference to the raid on his house.

He added: “I can still confirm officially that the Lagos rally inasmuch as whatever news or rumours you’ve been listening to from different outlets will go as planned.

See also  Money Laundering – Supo Shasore Runs Hither, Thither to Save Partner From Gaol

”The 3rd of July Mega rally will go as planned. All arrangements for the rally have been planned and nothing has changed.

“I have spoken to the organisers, nothing has changed so far. 3rd of July from exactly 9:00 am in the morning. The whole arrangement and planning is going on.

“I’ve spoken with the General Secretary of Ilana Omo Odua, George Akinola, and also in the early hours before noon, I spoke with Banji Akintoye and he is working tirelessly for the release of those taken away.

“The rally in Lagos is going to be a peaceful rally. It is going to be a mega rally. Do not be disturbed about what happened. So many developments took place at Igboho’s house.

“We might get a form of video from Igboho about the Lagos rally, which might be released. We’ll be deciding that in the next 24 hours.”

Meanwhile, the police threatened for the umpteenth time they would not allow any gathering, procession or rally by the agitators in Lagos.

Addressing a security gathering comprising operatives of the police, Department of State Security (DSS) and Federal Road Safety Commission at the command headquarters said they were prepared for the agitators.

He said security agents in the state were embarking on a show-of-force as a warning to the organisers of the rally or any group of persons planning to stage any rally or procession in the state in defiance of warnings.

He said: “The command and other security agencies, including the Nigerian Army, Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), FRSC and DSS have put measures in place to prevent any act of lawlessness, oppression and intimidation of any kind in the state on the said date, 3rd July, 2021 and beyond as Lagos State cannot afford to record and experience the violence orchestrated by some individuals during the 2020 Endsars protest that led to massive destruction of lives and properties in the state.

See also  Thunderous Accolades for Gov. Dapo Abiodun as Access Bank MD, Herbert Wigwe, Unveils Plans to Build 15-Storey Arts & Entertainment Village in Ogun

“The command still reiterates its stance that anyone caught participating or facilitating the so-called mega rally in Lagos State will be dealt with within the ambits of the law.”

You Might Also Like

NERC increases electricity tariffs, scraps fixed charges
Akwa Ibom Senate Tussle: Akpabio To Appeal Judgement
Video: Reuben Abati Drags President Tinubu’s Sons For Following Him To Qatar For Official Visit
[LEAKED] #EndBadGovernanceInNigeria Protest: Nigeria Police Chief Orders Raid Of Vulcaniser Shops To Seize Tyres, Prevent Burning During
Cleric Bemoans State Of Domestic And Sexual Violence
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print

BREAKING: EFCC Arrests Buhari’s Former Minister From His Hiding Place

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arrested a former Minister…

FULL LIST: 47 Disqualified Senatorial Aspirants

The All Progressives Congress (APC) on Monday released the list of senatorial…

JUST IN: NDC Finally Names Presidential Aspirant for 2027 Election

Peter Obi, the former presidential candidate of the Labour Party, has been…

Tension in Kano as Gov Yusuf Sends Warning to Kwankwaso

Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf of Kano State has issued a stern warning…

APC Make U-Turn On Senatorial Primaries List

The All Progressives Congress has made a u-turn on its earlier list…

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
TelegramFollow
WhatsAppFollow

You Might Also Like

Why We Cannot Back Atiku – Northern Youths

October 18, 2022

NURTW Ssuspends MC Oluomo Indefinitely Over Misconduct, Insubordination

March 10, 2022

Gov Oshiomole fires back at Dino Melaye

March 4, 2016
News

BREAKING: Court Takes Fresh Action on El-Rufai’s Case 

April 14, 2026

Categories

  • News
  • Homepage
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Top News
  • Highlife
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Inside Boardroom

About The Capital

We deliver premium coverage of business, politics, lifestyle, entertainment, and society stories shaping Nigeria and beyond. Through credible reporting, insightful features, and engaging digital storytelling, we keep readers informed on the people, trends, events, and conversations driving modern culture and public discourse.
Quick Links
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Connect with us on Social Media

Facebook X-twitter Whatsapp Envelope

Send us email: [email protected]

© thecapital.ng. All Rights Reserved. Designed by Semasir Connect.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?