By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
The CapitalThe CapitalThe Capital
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
      • Featured Profile
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Reading: Kingmakers Tackles Basorun Over Claim On New Alaafin
Share
Font ResizerAa
The CapitalThe Capital
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sports
Search
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
News

Kingmakers Tackles Basorun Over Claim On New Alaafin

September 18, 2023 9:43 pm
The Capital
Share
SHARE

Kingmakers in Oyo are sharply divided over the selection of new Alaafin.

A faction of three members on Monday washed their hands clean off Basorun High Chief Yusuf Ayoola’s claim that there was no going back on the selection of a particular candidate.

Ayoola, in a media interview, stated that a candidate had been selected, adding that his name had been forwarded to Governor Seyi Makinde.

He said the Oyomesi has been waiting for Makinde to announce the new Alaafin since October last year.

But three of the seven kingmakers – High Chiefs Asimiyu Atanda (Agbaakin), Lamidi Oyewole (Iba Samu) and Chief Odurinde Olusegun (Baale Ajagba)- distanced themselves from Ayoola’s claim, saying they stood for the decision of the Governor that kingmakers should follow due process in selecting the new Alaafin.

The trio in a joint statement said Ayoola did not follow due process in selecting the said candidate.

The statement reads: “There are five living members of the Oyomesi, and there are two warrant chiefs eligible to nominate/recommend a nominee to the governor of Oyo State for appointment as the Alaafin.

“The kingmakers met only once in 2022 with the following members of the kingmakers in attendance – Basorun, Agbakin, Samu, Akinniku, Lagunna (Oyomesi) joined by Areago Basorun and Alapo (Both Warrant Chiefs unilaterally selected by Basorun without the knowledge or consent of the Oyomesi). As a matter of fact, one of the contestants also wrote a letter of protest questioning the inclusion of one of the warrant chiefs in the Kingmakers Council).

“It was at the meeting of this ill-constituted seven-member kingmakers first meeting that a nominee for the office of the Alaafin was sent to the government for endorsement

See also  Nigerians React As Tinubu Cuts Short 2-Week Vacation, Details Emerge

“Immediately after submitting our nomination, we got the government’s response that our nomination could not be accepted because we did not follow DUE PROCESS in coming to our resolution. The government directed that we should go back and do our work properly in accordance with the Declaration.

“It was also discovered that one of the warrant chiefs (handpicked by Basorun) who participated in our earlier resolution was ineligible to be a warrant chief. He was therefore removed and replaced with another Chief. Thus the ALAPO handpicked by Basorun who participated in our carlier resolution was replaced with Baale Ajagba.

“We were directed to meet and follow due process. Unfortunately, the Basorun who is chairman and convener of our meetings decided not to convene any meeting of the Oyomesi since late last year till the present moment.

“The new member of the kingmakers (Baale Ajagba) has been denied the opportunity of participating in or contributing to the resolutions of the kingmakers since his official appointment in 2022 on account of the blunt refusal of the Basorun to comply with the directive of government for due process in our task of recommending a Nominee to the government

“About seven months ago, during an official visit to Oyo, the governor held a meeting with the Oyomesi and specifically told us of the Government decision that due process must be followed in the nomination of candidate for the Alaafin stool. He instructed us to do our duty freely because the government is only interested in the best for Oyo and Yorubaland.

See also  My detention was dirty politics, says Abaribe

“Regrettably, Basorun remained adamant, and no meeting of the kingmakers was convened to deliberate on the major issue of
nomination or selection of candidate for the stool of the Alaafin.

“Recently, the Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs invited the kingmakers to a meeting in his office. Some of us honoured the invitation but Basorun and others refused to honour the invitation from the commissioner.

“We are opposed to the Basorun’s utter disregard for government’s directive on due process and his continuing imposition of one of his handpicked chiefs (Areago Basorun) as a warrant chief whose letter of appointment is questionable. We are ready to meet with other Kingmakers to perform our legitimate duties in accordance with our tradition, custom and the law of the land.”

 

You Might Also Like

The king-size headache of FBN Holdings boss, Urum Eke
Senate makes a U-turn, lifts embargo on Buhari’s appointments
Germany Launches Portal For Skilled Nigerian Workers, Others To Apply For Jobs
JUST IN: Wike’s Aide Explains Details of Alleged Assassination Attempt On Navy Lt Yerima
Why Our Client (Chief Olisa Metuh) is Offering To Refund The N400 million – Counsel
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print

BREAKING: EFCC Arrests Buhari’s Former Minister From His Hiding Place

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arrested a former Minister…

FULL LIST: 47 Disqualified Senatorial Aspirants

The All Progressives Congress (APC) on Monday released the list of senatorial…

JUST IN: NDC Finally Names Presidential Aspirant for 2027 Election

Peter Obi, the former presidential candidate of the Labour Party, has been…

Tension in Kano as Gov Yusuf Sends Warning to Kwankwaso

Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf of Kano State has issued a stern warning…

APC Make U-Turn On Senatorial Primaries List

The All Progressives Congress has made a u-turn on its earlier list…

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
TelegramFollow
WhatsAppFollow

You Might Also Like

Buhari’s Political associate, Jafaru Isa, returns N100million to EFCC

January 11, 2016

AGF sends names of six judges to DSS for probe

October 12, 2016

House panel backs deregulation of oil sector, beg NLC

May 19, 2016

REVEALED: Real Reasons Former Oyo Governor Ladoja Cannot Succeed Oba Balogun As Next Olubadan

March 18, 2024

Categories

  • News
  • Homepage
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Top News
  • Highlife
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Inside Boardroom

About The Capital

We deliver premium coverage of business, politics, lifestyle, entertainment, and society stories shaping Nigeria and beyond. Through credible reporting, insightful features, and engaging digital storytelling, we keep readers informed on the people, trends, events, and conversations driving modern culture and public discourse.
Quick Links
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Connect with us on Social Media

Facebook X-twitter Whatsapp Envelope

Send us email: [email protected]

© thecapital.ng. All Rights Reserved. Designed by Semasir Connect.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?