By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
The CapitalThe CapitalThe Capital
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
      • Featured Profile
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Reading: N100bn cattle ranch fund: One year after resolution, Reps yet to begin probe
Share
Font ResizerAa
The CapitalThe Capital
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sports
Search
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
News

N100bn cattle ranch fund: One year after resolution, Reps yet to begin probe

January 20, 2018 6:02 am
The Capital
Share
SHARE

The House of Representatives has yet to investigate the N100bn disbursed to some states by the Central Bank of Nigeria to build cattle ranches, one year after it passed a resolution on the matter.

The House had passed the resolution on January 20, 2017, following a motion moved by a member from Kogi State, Mr. Sunday Karimi.

The National Economic Council reportedly approved the release of the money in 2014 under the administration of former President Goodluck Jonathan for the states to build “mini” ranches after clashes between herdsmen and farmers escalated.

But, findings by Our correspondent indicated on Friday that after a year, the House had yet to constitute an ad hoc committee to start the investigation.

When contacted, Chairman, House Committee on Media and Public Affairs, Mr. Abdulrazak Namdas, told Our correspondent that he would make inquiries on why the panel was not set up and get back to the newspaper.

Namdas did not get back as he promised.

When his comments were sought, Karimi, who moved the motion for the probe, expressed surprise that nothing had been done since the House passed the resolution.

He stated, “Yes, I moved the motion. The resolution was that an ad hoc committee would be set up.

“As we speak, there is no committee. It’s a long time since the resolution was passed. I really can’t say what happened, because I don’t know.”

Incidentally, Karimi is also one of the sponsors of the grazing reserves bill pending at the National Assembly.

In 2017, Karimi, a member of the Peoples Democratic Party, recalled how the Federal Government raised a committee chaired by a former Governor of Benue State, Mr. Gabriel Suswam, to investigate the frequent conflicts between herdsmen and farmers.

See also  Telcos Seek CBN, NCC Intervention Over Alleged N42bn USSD Debt

He informed the House that the Suswam-led committee found out that existing grazing routes had been encroached upon and “should be recovered and improved upon.”

Karimi added that, as a result of the findings of the committee, it recommended “the release of N100bn through the CBN as seed funding to all states for the construction of ranches.”

He added that though the money was released without the approval of the National Assembly, there was no evidence of how it was utilised.

“There has not been any ranch constructed anywhere in the country to account for the expenditure of the money,” he said.

A detective at the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission told our correspondent that there was no ongoing investigation at the commission as regards the N100bn.

“We are currently not investigating this matter. If we get more information, then maybe we can commence a probe,” he said.

When contacted, the CBN Director of Information, Isaac Okorafor, said he had no information on whether the amount was indeed disbursed by the apex bank. When pressed further, he declined to speak on the matter.

The Director, Development Finance Department of the CBN, whose department is in charge of disbursement of intervention fund, when contacted through one of the officials of CBN, said in a text message that “We are only bankers to govt. They should enquire from the relevant MDAs. It’s not our process (sic).”

The Director of Information in the Ministry of Finance, Mr. Salisu Dambatta, when contacted and asked if the ministry indeed released the N100bn, he directed our correspondent to the Special Adviser on Media to the Minister of Finance, Oluyinka Akintunde.

See also  Jimoh Ibrahim Loses Mum to Fire Incident

Akintunde did not reply a text message sent nor picked repeated calls to him on the matter.

When our correspondent visited the ministry to speak to the Director, Home Finance, Federal Ministry of Finance, Mrs. Siyanbola Olubunmi, whose department is in charge of funds disbursement, she was said to have travelled out of the country on an official assignment.

Attempts to get her deputy, Mr. Abdulrasheed Giwa, to speak on the matter were not successful as he neither answered calls nor responded to a text message sent to him.

You Might Also Like

Don’t Send Me To Prison, Kyari Begs Court
Fresh suit wants FEC to declare Buhari unfit
N156.4m Fraud: Ex-NIMASA DG Re-Arraigned After Four-Year Trial
Fuel scarcity: NNPC apologises to Nigerians
Illegal Mining: EFCC Arrests Two Chinese, One Other In Ilorin
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print

BREAKING: EFCC Arrests Buhari’s Former Minister From His Hiding Place

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arrested a former Minister…

FULL LIST: 47 Disqualified Senatorial Aspirants

The All Progressives Congress (APC) on Monday released the list of senatorial…

JUST IN: NDC Finally Names Presidential Aspirant for 2027 Election

Peter Obi, the former presidential candidate of the Labour Party, has been…

Tension in Kano as Gov Yusuf Sends Warning to Kwankwaso

Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf of Kano State has issued a stern warning…

APC Make U-Turn On Senatorial Primaries List

The All Progressives Congress has made a u-turn on its earlier list…

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
TelegramFollow
WhatsAppFollow

You Might Also Like

Maina’s Briefcase Companies Had N3bn Turnover – EFCC Witness

December 9, 2020
News

JUST IN: ICPC Gives Fresh Update On  El-Rufai’s Case

March 23, 2026

Avengers threaten secession as militants bomb NPDC facilities

June 10, 2016

‘EFCC Uncovers Religious Sect Laundering Money For Terrorists ’

January 31, 2024

Categories

  • News
  • Homepage
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Top News
  • Highlife
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Inside Boardroom

About The Capital

We deliver premium coverage of business, politics, lifestyle, entertainment, and society stories shaping Nigeria and beyond. Through credible reporting, insightful features, and engaging digital storytelling, we keep readers informed on the people, trends, events, and conversations driving modern culture and public discourse.
Quick Links
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Connect with us on Social Media

Facebook X-twitter Whatsapp Envelope

Send us email: [email protected]

© thecapital.ng. All Rights Reserved. Designed by Semasir Connect.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?