By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
The CapitalThe CapitalThe Capital
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
      • Featured Profile
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Reading: Nigeria loses 400,000bpd as Shell declares force majeure
Share
Font ResizerAa
The CapitalThe Capital
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sports
Search
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
Business

Nigeria loses 400,000bpd as Shell declares force majeure

May 12, 2016 6:27 am
The Capital
Share
SHARE

With the declaration of force majeure on Bonny Light exports by Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria Limited, about 400,000 barrels per day of Nigeria’s production has now been shut in.

Force majeure is a legal clause that allows an oil firm to stop shipments without breaching contracts.

The oil major said in a statement signed by its spokesperson, Mr. Bamidele Odugbesan, on Wednesday that the force majeure took effect from Tuesday, May 10, 2016.

It said the decision came as a result of a leak that led to the closure of the Nembe Creek Trunk line for repairs by the operator, Aiteo Eastern E & P Company Limited.

The SPDC did not disclose the cause of the leak in the statement.

Shell had in February declared force majeure on liftings from the Forcados export terminal following the disruption in production caused by the spill on its subsea crude export pipeline.

A group named Niger Delta Avengers claimed responsibility for the attack on the Shell oil pipeline, which shut down the 250,000bpd export terminal.

Commissioned in 2010, the 100-km NCT feeds the Bonny export terminal, and the disruption will affect the loading of seven cargoes, representing a combined volume 217,000 bpd. It has a capacity of 600,000 bpd, according to Shell’s website.

The halt in Bonny Light loadings comes less than a week after Chevron said 35,000 bpd of its Nigerian net crude production had been halted by an attack on its offshore Okan facility, and three months after Shell suspended production at Forcados.

If all Bonny Light production is cut, it will bring output to below 1.5 million bpd for the first time since September 1994, according to Energy Information Administration data. Nigeria exports almost all its production.

See also  Details Emerge As Port Harcourt Refinery Abruptly Shuts Down Operations Three Days After Resumption

You Might Also Like

Mr. Money! About Awa Ibraheem…The Safety Deposit Box of Nigerian Governors
Full List: Private Jet Owners Panic As FG Moves To Ground 60 Aircraft Over Import Duty Violation, Pastors, Other Affected
Protests Erupt Across Canada As 70,000 Students From Nigeria, Other Countries Face Deportation Risk
Why Naira Is Appreciating And How Long It May Last
13% Derivation Fund Eases Oil-Producing States’ Debt By N611bn
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print

BREAKING: Powerful Nigerian Judge Dies as Cause of Death Emerges

A Federal High Court judge attached with the Kano State Division, Justice…

FULL LIST: Ministers That Resigned From Tinubu’s Cabinet But Lost APC Primaries

The decision by some former ministers of President Bola Tinubu to resign…

FULL LIST: APC Governorship Candidates That Won Primaries

Ahead of the 2027 general elections, the All Progressives Congress (APC) on…

BRRAKING: Top APC Lawmaker Joins NDC Ahead of 2027 Elections

Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC) ‎A member of the Kano State House of…

BREAKING: Markerters Release New Update on Petrol Prices Across Nigeria

The price of petrol and other refined products changed across depots as…

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
TelegramFollow
WhatsAppFollow

You Might Also Like

Billionaire Dahiru Mangal Takes Over, Launches $1.5 Billion Cement Plant in Kogi State
Business

Current Cement Prices: Dangote, BUA, Lafarge, Other Brands, Today 20th June, As Prices Adjusted Across Nigeria

June 20, 2025

Naira Devaluation Will Push Petrol Subsidy To N7.1b Per Day

July 5, 2021
EXPOSED: Smuggled Nigerian Petrol Floods W’African Markets, Sells N1,700/Litre
Business

REVEALED: Petrol Prices Expected to Rise to N1,350 As Crude Hits $78 Per Barrel, NNPC Plans To Implement New Price – Official

October 7, 2024
Business

JUST IN: No More N980 Per litre; Petrol Retail Price Drops Nationwide

February 10, 2025

Categories

  • News
  • Homepage
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Top News
  • Highlife
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Inside Boardroom

About The Capital

We deliver premium coverage of business, politics, lifestyle, entertainment, and society stories shaping Nigeria and beyond. Through credible reporting, insightful features, and engaging digital storytelling, we keep readers informed on the people, trends, events, and conversations driving modern culture and public discourse.
Quick Links
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Connect with us on Social Media

Facebook X-twitter Whatsapp Envelope

Send us email: [email protected]

© thecapital.ng. All Rights Reserved. Designed by Semasir Connect.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?