By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
The CapitalThe CapitalThe Capital
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
      • Featured Profile
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Reading: Nigeria losing one million barrels of oil daily – Osinbajo
Share
Font ResizerAa
The CapitalThe Capital
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sports
Search
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
News

Nigeria losing one million barrels of oil daily – Osinbajo

September 7, 2016 6:41 am
The Capital
Share
SHARE

Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo says Nigeria has been losing one million barrels of crude oil daily in the last six months due to the activities of pipeline vandals.

Osinbajo, who is the head of President Muhammadu Buhari’s economic team, disclosed this on Tuesday while receiving a delegation of the Northern States Pentecostal Bishops Forum in his office at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

Nigeria had lost at least 180 million barrels of crude oil in less than one year.

A statement signed by Osinbajo’s spokesman, Laolu Akande, read in part, “In addition to the massive fall in oil prices, the VP stated that the vandalism of pipelines had led to a worsening of the situation with the country losing about one million barrels of oil per day for up to six months now. The vandalism has equally cut power supply short since gas pipelines were also destroyed.”

According to the Vice-President, there is no country in the world that can face the kind of stealing that has taken place in Nigeria without having to deal with the consequences, including the current state of the economy.

He, however, assured Nigerians that even though the times were hard today, “there is great hope that this country will prosper.”

“This country has been badly governed. We are dealing, for instance, with the embezzlement of funds to the tune of $15bn in one sector alone.”

Osinbajo dismissed suggestions that the Buhari administration should stop blaming past governments.

He added, “We have to, that is why we are here. We have not turned attention to the oil and gas sector, where the former CBN governor alleged that $20bn was stolen. We must condemn and stand up against this level of corruption. It is the single most important reason of the current state of the country. We can’t ignore it.”

See also  Detailed copy of controversial 2016 budget ready today —Reps

Osinbajo called on Christian and religious leaders generally to condemn corruption openly.

Responding to the views of the leader of the delegation, Archbishop John Daniel, that members of the forum had been actively involved in the fight against corruption in Nigeria, the VP said indeed the “country has been systematically destroyed.”

He added, “Our currency depreciated because we don’t have the reserves to back it. At the height of the oil boom, there were no savings.”

The senior advocate said that the recent GDP figures released last week indicated clearly there is growth in agriculture and solid minerals.

The social investment programmes, according to the Vice-President, are on course, reassuring the nation “that very soon, the 500,000 jobs scheme will take off,” alongside other schemes.

Earlier, Archbishop Daniel expressed the support of the forum for the diversification of the Nigerian economy by the Buhari administartion but asked the Federal Government to ensure that violent herdsmen were brought to book.

In his response, Osinbajo noted that Buhari had given clear instructions to the security agencies to arrest and prosecute anyone, regardless of status, who carried arms and perpetrated violence.

He, however, lamented that the justice system needed reforms to ensure speedy prosecution.

You Might Also Like

Aisha Buhari in Jefferson bribery scandal not President Buhari’s wife — Ex-EFCC boss, Lamorde
Don’t Name Church After Me When I’m Gone, Bishop Oyedepo Warns Members
Dangote Dedicates 53% Of Refinery Capacity To Petrol
SHOCKING! Husband Demands N7m From Wife To Grant Her Divorce Request
Now I can walk again! Boko Haram kid victim, returns to Nigeria after successful surgery in Dubai, gets scholarship from Taleveras foundation
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print

JUST IN: NDC Finally Names Presidential Aspirant for 2027 Election

Peter Obi, the former presidential candidate of the Labour Party, has been…

Tension in Kano as Gov Yusuf Sends Warning to Kwankwaso

Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf of Kano State has issued a stern warning…

APC Make U-Turn On Senatorial Primaries List

The All Progressives Congress has made a u-turn on its earlier list…

Government Issues Fresh Update on Sallah Celebration

Saudi Arabia government has announced that Eid Al-Adha will be celebrated on…

Fuel nozzle

BREAKING: No More N1320/Litre, Petrol Price Crashes At Depots Nationwide; New Rates Emerge

The price of petrol at various private depots across Nigeria recorded marginal…

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
TelegramFollow
WhatsAppFollow

You Might Also Like

‘Hidden’ N249b: Court strikes out Fed Govt’s case against seven banks

August 10, 2017

BREAKING: Court Jails Prophet Sotitobire Over Missing Child

October 6, 2020

Just In: Yinka Ayefele Welcomes Triplets With Wife

July 19, 2019
Court Asked To Block Lawmakers From Embezzling Trillions Of Naira For Constituency Projects
News

Court Asked To Block Lawmakers From Embezzling Trillions Of Naira For Constituency Projects

April 7, 2024

Categories

  • News
  • Homepage
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Top News
  • Highlife
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Inside Boardroom

About The Capital

We deliver premium coverage of business, politics, lifestyle, entertainment, and society stories shaping Nigeria and beyond. Through credible reporting, insightful features, and engaging digital storytelling, we keep readers informed on the people, trends, events, and conversations driving modern culture and public discourse.
Quick Links
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Connect with us on Social Media

Facebook X-twitter Whatsapp Envelope

Send us email: [email protected]

© thecapital.ng. All Rights Reserved. Designed by Semasir Connect.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?