By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
The CapitalThe CapitalThe Capital
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
      • Featured Profile
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Reading: Olubadan gets 21-day deadline
Share
Font ResizerAa
The CapitalThe Capital
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sports
Search
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
News

Olubadan gets 21-day deadline

December 12, 2017 6:49 am
The Capital
Share
SHARE

Members of the Ibadan Council of Obas yesterday issued a 21-day ultimatum to the Olubadan of Ibadan, Oba Saliu Adetunji, to reconcile his activities with the provisions of the Olubadan Chieftaincy Review or face vote of no confidence from them.

They addressed reporters at the historic Mapo Hall in Ibadan, the state capital.

The most senior monarch to the Olubadan, Oba Lekan Balogun, who spoke for the others accused Oba Adetunji of flouting the provisions of the chieftaincy law by taking unilateral decisions and allegedly promoting civil disorder.

They said the Olubadan’s wives were embarrassing the palace through their excesses and alleged misleading the monarch on many issues.

The council members also accused the Olubadan of inciting people against Governor Abiola Ajimobi, who undertook the review, which made him an Imperial Majesty.

They recalled that the August 2017 review of the Chieftaincy Declaration by the state government was a response to several petitions and agitation for reform by members of the defunct Olubadan-In-Council.

According to them, Ibadan indigenes should rather be grateful to Ajimobi for accenting to their request.

The monarchs said they wrote to Oba Adetunji in July, 2016, to lodge complaints about him, copies of which were sent to the governor and the Ministry of Local Government and Chieftaincy Matters.

They added that members of the Ibadan Elders Forum waded in and resolved the crisis at the time.

Oba Adetunji was enthroned in February, 2016.

Emphasising their grouses against the Olubadan, the obas said: “Meetings of the Olubadan-In-Council were not conducted properly as they had been done. Oloris (queens) were still attending meetings with us and contributing, dictating and attacking high chiefs in curses and abuses.

See also  BREAKING: Ex-Atiku Spokesperson Daniel Bwala Breaks Silence on Becoming Tinubu’s Spokesperson Following Ngelale’s Exit

“Appointment of baales and mogajis are not in compliance with the proper set-up rules and standards. Apart from monetary scandal of which Kabiyesi is yet to refrain, a new Olubadan-In-Council is inside Popoyemoja palace, consisting of the Olubadan, the oloris and the Personal Assistant to the Kabiyesi (Tairu), who decide from time to time who is to be baale or mogaji and will only send hearing notice of meeting and agenda to the real members of the Olubadan-In-Council on the Saturday preceding the installation date on Monday. This leaves no time for protest, and any attempt to protest on Monday is fruitless, as Kabiyesi believed that he is not challengeable.”

The monarchs also accused Oba Adetunji of acting alone in traditional functions.

They said he sent clerks and personal assistants with the staff of authority or attended occasions singularly the or with his wives.

The council said many litigations were ongoing over the installations of mogajis and baales because they were unilaterally and wrongly done.

Some examples they cited are: the Baale Ajogbobi, Mogaji Kosoko/Onilabu, Baale Badeku and Mogaji Oyelakun.

Highlighting the merits of the recent review, the monarchs noted that the Olubadan, who was until then His Royal Majesty, could only install baales and mogajis.

The obas said the review elevated him to His Imperial Majesty, giving the Olubadan the right to enthrone other obas.

They recalled that the first major review of the declaration was undertaken in 1976 when the late Oba Gbadamosi Adebimpe was elevated to His Royal Majesty, becoming the first Ibadan oba to wear beaded crown.

See also  Forgery: Uncertainty over Saraki, deputy’s arraignment today

The monarchs said this year’s review would not be the last as Ibadan indigenes sought better ways to bring development to Ibadan.

They also accused the Olubadan of wanting to be the only monarch in Ibadan metropolis, a city they reiterated is the largest in West Africa.

The obas said as members of the council, which nominated the Olubadan, they could pass a vote of no confidence on him, thereby preparing the ground for deposition, if the monarch remained recalcitrant.

They said: “We are, by this conference, giving His Imperial Majesty a 21-day ultimatum to change his stand and work for the improvement of Ibadan, rather than promoting disorderliness. Failure to do so, the entire Ibadan Council of Obas will pass a vote of no confidence in the Imperial Majesty, Oba Saliu Adetunji, and declare him persona non-grata, and the government will have no other choice than to move for appropriate action.

“You need to know that we the then Olubadan-In-Council nominated and appointed him and presented the said Kabiyesi Adetunji to the government of Oyo State for inauguration and approval or confirmation as the Olubadan of Ibadan, knowing well that under the law, anybody from the position of Ekerin is qualified for the position of the Olubadan.

“The obaship of the Olubadan did not start from Oba Saliu and it will not end in his palace…”

At the briefing were Oba Owolabi Olakulehin, Oba Tajudeen Ajibola, Oba Eddy Oyewole, Oba Lateef Gbadamosi Adebimpe, Oba Amidu Ajibade and Oba Kola Adegbola.

Contacted, the Director of Media and Publicity to the Olubadan, Mr Adeola Oloko, said the palace would react at the appropriate time.

See also  FG hits back at Obasanjo, says no plan to frame up anyone

You Might Also Like

My mission to villa not about Adeosun –Tunde Bakare
El-Rufai Orders Closure of 13 Schools Over Bandits Attack
2023 Elections: Otedola, Ahmed, Agwai, Momoh, Others Get Appointment
Sitting On The Fence?…Wisdom Of Ibe Kachikwu
Chinese Medical Team to Arrive in Nigeria Soon — Health Minister
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print

JUST IN: NDC Finally Names Presidential Aspirant for 2027 Election

Peter Obi, the former presidential candidate of the Labour Party, has been…

Tension in Kano as Gov Yusuf Sends Warning to Kwankwaso

Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf of Kano State has issued a stern warning…

APC Make U-Turn On Senatorial Primaries List

The All Progressives Congress has made a u-turn on its earlier list…

Government Issues Fresh Update on Sallah Celebration

Saudi Arabia government has announced that Eid Al-Adha will be celebrated on…

Fuel nozzle

BREAKING: No More N1320/Litre, Petrol Price Crashes At Depots Nationwide; New Rates Emerge

The price of petrol at various private depots across Nigeria recorded marginal…

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
TelegramFollow
WhatsAppFollow

You Might Also Like

JAMB Fixes Dates For 2024 UTME Registration, Examination

November 30, 2023

INEC Rejects Ruling on Temporary Voter Cards Use

March 10, 2023

NNPCL Donates N200,000 PMS Voucher To Lady Mocked For Waking Up At 4:30am To Cook For Husband

January 6, 2024
'This Is Not A Nightclub', Senate President Akpabia Cautions Kogi Female Senator, Natasha Akpoti
News

Tension As Northern And Southern Lawmakers Clash Over New Proposal

September 29, 2024

Categories

  • News
  • Homepage
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Top News
  • Highlife
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Inside Boardroom

About The Capital

We deliver premium coverage of business, politics, lifestyle, entertainment, and society stories shaping Nigeria and beyond. Through credible reporting, insightful features, and engaging digital storytelling, we keep readers informed on the people, trends, events, and conversations driving modern culture and public discourse.
Quick Links
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Connect with us on Social Media

Facebook X-twitter Whatsapp Envelope

Send us email: [email protected]

© thecapital.ng. All Rights Reserved. Designed by Semasir Connect.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?