By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
The CapitalThe CapitalThe Capital
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
      • Featured Profile
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Reading: Refineries Suffer 13-Month Loss Of N104.3bn, Refine Zero Oil
Share
Font ResizerAa
The CapitalThe Capital
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sports
Search
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
Business

Refineries Suffer 13-Month Loss Of N104.3bn, Refine Zero Oil

August 1, 2021 8:45 am
The Capital
Share
SHARE

A total loss of N104.3bn was recorded by Nigeria’s refineries in 13 months, even as the facilities refined no crude oil throughout the period, the latest report released by the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation showed.

An analysis of the updated consolidated refinery financial performance from February 2020 to February 2021 showed that the plants maintained losses monthly.

The NNPC manages Nigeria’s refineries, namely Kaduna Refining and Petrochemical Company, Port Harcourt Refining Company and Warri Refining and Petrochemical Company.

Figures from the corporation showed that the monthly operating expenditures of the refineries surpassed their revenues all through the 13-month duration.

In February, March, April, May, June, July and August 2020, the consolidated losses of the refineries were N9.36bn, N10.3bn, N9.69bn, N9.55bn, N10.23bn, N9.1bn and N7.1bn respectively.

In September, October, November and December 2020, the facilities posted cumulative losses of N7.04bn, N5.49bn, N5.99bn and N8.28bn respectively.

Their consolidated losses continued in 2021, as they lost N5.37bn and N6.88bn in January and February this year, being the most recent update from the corporation.

This came as the oil firm’s latest report further showed that all through these months, the refineries were unable to refine crude oil.

Providing an explanation for this, it said, “In February 2021, the three refineries processed no crude and combined yield efficiency is 0.00 per cent owing largely to ongoing rehabilitation works in the refineries.

“The declining operational performance is attributable to the ongoing revamping of the refineries, which is expected to further enhance capacity utilisation once completed.”

The NNPC further explained that it had been adopting a merchant plant refineries business model since January 2017.

See also  China Development Bank, UBA Sign $100 million Loan Deal to Support SMEs in Africa

It said the model took cognisance of the products worth and crude costs, as it noted that the combined value of output by the three refineries (at import parity price) for February 2021 amounted to approximately N0.10bn.

It added that there was no associated crude plus freight cost for the three refineries in February 2021 since there was no production, but observed that operational expenses amounted to N6.98bn.

“This resulted to an operating deficit of N6.88bn,” the oil firm said.

The Group General Manager, Group Public Affairs Division, NNPC, Kennie Obateru, recently said the $1.5bn rehabilitation of the Port Harcourt Refining Company had commenced in full and part of the facility would start delivering refined products by September next year.

He told our correspondent that the entire rehabilitation programme would be over in 44 months, stressing that the contractor had already mobilised to site.

The NNPC officially signed the contract with Tecnimont SPA for the $1.5bn rehabilitation programme of PHRC on April 6, 2021, and parties in the agreement announced the commencement of the project.

“It (Port Harcourt refinery) will be completed within 18 to 44 months when counting from April this year. By 18 months some part of the refinery will be producing,” Obateru said.

Also, oil marketers had urged the corporation to try and hasten the rehabilitation exercise of refineries, particularly the revamp of the Port Harcourt refinery.

The President, Petroleum Products Retail Outlets Owners Association of Nigeria, Billy Gillis-Harry, said, “If the refinery in Port Harcourt can be rehabilitated and it works and comes on stream in a swift manner, that will be a welcome idea.”

See also  Inflation, Capital Flow Top Agenda As MPC Meets

He said it was high time the country started refining crude oil, as this would not only create employment but would impact positively on the overall economy of Nigeria.

You Might Also Like

BFF! Immortal Bond Between Access Bank’s Aig Imoukhuede And Herbert Wigwe
Black Market Naira To Dollar Exchange Rate Today 23rd November 2023
Encomiums, emotions as Task Systems celebrates @ 30
Unity Bank sacks 215 workers
CBN Has Started to Take Control
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print

JUST IN: NDC Finally Names Presidential Aspirant for 2027 Election

Peter Obi, the former presidential candidate of the Labour Party, has been…

Tension in Kano as Gov Yusuf Sends Warning to Kwankwaso

Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf of Kano State has issued a stern warning…

APC Make U-Turn On Senatorial Primaries List

The All Progressives Congress has made a u-turn on its earlier list…

Government Issues Fresh Update on Sallah Celebration

Saudi Arabia government has announced that Eid Al-Adha will be celebrated on…

Fuel nozzle

BREAKING: No More N1320/Litre, Petrol Price Crashes At Depots Nationwide; New Rates Emerge

The price of petrol at various private depots across Nigeria recorded marginal…

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
TelegramFollow
WhatsAppFollow

You Might Also Like

$30bn Revenue Loss: Reps Threaten MTN, Glo, other CEOs with Arrest

March 19, 2020
Lafarge Cement
Business

Current Cement Prices: Dangote, BUA, Lafarge, Other Brands, Today April; Details Emerge As Prices Hit New Highs Across Nigeria

April 14, 2025

Naira Appreciates Against Dollar Again Trade N1113

October 27, 2023

“Style By Zenith” Debuts In Lagos

December 13, 2018

Categories

  • News
  • Homepage
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Top News
  • Highlife
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Inside Boardroom

About The Capital

We deliver premium coverage of business, politics, lifestyle, entertainment, and society stories shaping Nigeria and beyond. Through credible reporting, insightful features, and engaging digital storytelling, we keep readers informed on the people, trends, events, and conversations driving modern culture and public discourse.
Quick Links
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Connect with us on Social Media

Facebook X-twitter Whatsapp Envelope

Send us email: [email protected]

© thecapital.ng. All Rights Reserved. Designed by Semasir Connect.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?