By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
The CapitalThe CapitalThe Capital
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
      • Featured Profile
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Reading: Saudi Crown Prince Killed Khashoggi, Says UN Investigator
Share
Font ResizerAa
The CapitalThe Capital
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sports
Search
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
News

Saudi Crown Prince Killed Khashoggi, Says UN Investigator

June 19, 2019 3:49 pm
The Capital
Share
SHARE

An independent United Nations rights expert says there is “credible evidence” suggesting Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and other senior Saudi officials are liable for the murder of prominent journalist Jamal Khashoggi last October.

“It is the conclusion of the Special Rapporteur that Mr. Khashoggi has been the victim of a deliberate, premeditated execution, an extrajudicial killing for which the state of Saudi Arabia is responsible under international human rights law,” UN special rapporteur on extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions Agnes Callamard said in her report on Wednesday based on a six-month investigation.

“There is credible evidence, warranting further investigation of high-level Saudi officials’ individual liability, including the crown prince’s,” she said.

“Indeed, this human rights inquiry has shown that there is sufficient credible evidence regarding the responsibility of the crown prince demanding further investigation,” Callamard added, urging UN Secretary-General António Guterres to establish an international probe.

The probes conducted so far by Saudi Arabia and Turkey, she noted, have “failed to meet international standards regarding the investigation into unlawful deaths.”

Callamard further highlighted that an official international criminal investigation into Khashoggi’s murder would make it possible to “build up strong files on each of the alleged perpetrators and identify mechanisms for formal accountability, such as an ad hoc or hybrid tribunal.”

She also called on the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) in the United States, where Khashoggi was a resident, to probe the case, if it has not already done so, “and pursue criminal prosecutions within the United States, as appropriate.”

See also  Bode Geroge denies saying INEC chairman met Tinubu in Lagos

US President Donald Trump’s son-in-law and adviser Jared Kushner has reportedly called slain Saudi dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi a “terrorist.”

Callamard went on to say that she had viewed CCTV footage from inside the consulate for her investigation.

Her report also found that there was evidence that “Saudi Arabia deliberately used consular immunity to stall Turkey’s investigations until the crime scene could be thoroughly cleaned.”

“In view of my concerns regarding the fairness of the trial of the 11 suspects in Saudi Arabia, I call for the suspension of the trial,” Callamard said in the report.

On Twitter, Khashoggi’s elder son denied being in talks to reach a settlement with Saudi authorities.

Moreover, the report identified by name the 15 people who were part of the mission to kill Khashoggi.

It also suggested that many of them were not on the list of 11 unnamed suspects facing a closed-door trial over the murder.

Khashoggi, a Washington Post contributor and critic of the Saudi crown prince, was murdered at the Saudi consulate in Turkey’s largest city of Istanbul on October 2, 2018.

Riyadh initially said it had no knowledge of his fate but later blamed the murder on rogue agents.(Newsnow)

You Might Also Like

FG hits back at Obasanjo, says no plan to frame up anyone
MTN CEOs were paid N560m severance package after fine
Three foreign doctors flown in to treat president Buhari
N558.2m monthly diversion in NAF predates Badeh, says witness
Shamed! How workers booed and chased Saraki, Dogara, Ngige away
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print

APC Make U-Turn On Senatorial Primaries List

The All Progressives Congress has made a u-turn on its earlier list…

Government Issues Fresh Update on Sallah Celebration

Saudi Arabia government has announced that Eid Al-Adha will be celebrated on…

Fuel nozzle

BREAKING: No More N1320/Litre, Petrol Price Crashes At Depots Nationwide; New Rates Emerge

The price of petrol at various private depots across Nigeria recorded marginal…

Breaking Grounds: Tunji Alausa Flags Off Landmark Hostel Projects at LASU, YABATECH

● Education Minister leads groundbreaking ceremonies as Lagos institutions infrastructure reform ●FG-backed…

The Senate Beckons: Ogun East Unites Behind Dapo Abiodun

● Many Voices, One Mandate: Ogun Endorses Dapo Abiodun In a powerful…

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
TelegramFollow
WhatsAppFollow

You Might Also Like

UK Issues Travel Alert To Citizens, Lists States To Avoid In Nigeria

March 31, 2022

BREAKING: Car Plunges Into River As Truck, Tricycles, Collide On Bridge

February 10, 2024

Reps panel invites Jonathan over $1.1bn Malabu oil scandal

July 6, 2017

Abuja-Kaduna Train Attack: Mamu To Be Charged To Court – DSS; Uncovers Military Items; Large Sums Of Money

September 9, 2022

Categories

  • News
  • Homepage
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Top News
  • Highlife
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Inside Boardroom

About The Capital

We deliver premium coverage of business, politics, lifestyle, entertainment, and society stories shaping Nigeria and beyond. Through credible reporting, insightful features, and engaging digital storytelling, we keep readers informed on the people, trends, events, and conversations driving modern culture and public discourse.
Quick Links
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Connect with us on Social Media

Facebook X-twitter Whatsapp Envelope

Send us email: [email protected]

© thecapital.ng. All Rights Reserved. Designed by Semasir Connect.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?