By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
The CapitalThe CapitalThe Capital
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
      • Featured Profile
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Reading: TSA: NNPC, banks deny concealing FG’s $793.2m
Share
Font ResizerAa
The CapitalThe Capital
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sports
Search
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
News

TSA: NNPC, banks deny concealing FG’s $793.2m

July 22, 2017 6:39 am
The Capital
Share
SHARE

The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation on Friday reacted to reports that it colluded with some banks to prevent the remittance of $793.2m into the Treasury Single Account as directed by the Federal Government.

Its Group General Manager, Group Public Affairs Division, Ndu Ughamadu, in a statement issued in Abuja, stated that the allegation was not only misplaced but equally misleading.

The Federal High Court in Lagos had on Thursday ordered seven commercial banks to temporarily remit a total of $793.2m allegedly hidden by them for the oil firm and its subsidiary in contravention of the Federal Government’s Treasury Single Account policy.

According to the court, the concerned banks are United Bank for Africa Plc, Diamond Bank Plc, Skye Bank Plc, First Bank Limited, Fidelity Bank Plc, Keystone Bank Limited and Sterling Bank Plc.

But Ughamadu said the corporation had earlier taken steps to inform the Presidency, Office of the Accountant-General of the Federation and the Central Bank of Nigeria on the existence of the said accounts prior to the creation of the TSA.

The NNPC said it would be totally out of place to move the funds to the government’s asset recovery account as reported, noting that it was unreasonable and sheer waste of funds to pay any agent five per cent whistle-blowing fee for the phantom recovery of genuine funds belonging to it and which had been disclosed to the Presidency, CBN and other relevant stakeholders.

Providing further breakdown on the lodgements, the NNPC said the amount included $174.4m domiciled at Diamond Bank, $40.7m in Skye Bank and $16.7m in Keystone Bank, bringing the total to $231.8m.

See also  JUST IN: Nigerians React As Natasha Sends Fresh Message to Akpabio Amid Court Case: “Lost in the Fire”

It stated that in line with the directive of the Presidency, the CBN was supervising the remittance of these funds to the TSA and it had made great strides in this regard.

The NNPC noted that as an entity with fiduciary responsibility to the government and people of the country, its commitment to transparency and accountability remained unwavering.

Meanwhile, the United Bank for Africa Plc said on Friday that it had fully remitted all the NNPC/Nigerian Liquefied Natural Gas Limited dollar deposits since August 24, 2016.

The pan-African lender stated that none of such funds was currently in its books, noting that the CBN had in a memo published in its website cleared it.

UBA, in a statement by the Head, Marketing and Corporate Communications, Bola Atta, said, “We wish to state categorically that UBA has fully remitted all NNPC/NLNG dollar deposits since August 24, 2016. We hereby emphasise that none of such funds is currently in the bank’s books. Our action was further corroborated by a clearance memo published by the CBN on its website on same date.”

This came just as Skye Bank Plc denied concealing funds meant to be transferred to the TSA.

Skye Bank, in a statement on Friday by the Head, Strategic Brand Management and Communications, Mr. Nduneche Ezurike, said, “It was alleged that the sum of N41m is illegally kept in a NAPIMS fixed deposit account with Skye Bank in collusion with government officials. The management of Skye Bank hereby states that it neither colluded nor unilaterally hid the reported sum or any other funds in its custody.

See also  All Eyes On Peter Obi, To Take A Stand Ahead Of 2027; What Will He Do?

“On the contrary, the said funds are held with the full knowledge of the relevant agencies of the government, including the Central Bank of Nigeria, the DSS, the National Assembly and the Inspector General of Police’s Special Investigation Panel, with whom we have engaged extensively over same.”

The lender informed all its stakeholders that it would not conduct itself in breach of the laws or policies of the government, including the TSA policy.

Sterling Bank and Fidelity Bank had on Thursday denied the allegation, while First Bank, Keystone Bank and Diamond Bank have yet to issue official responses.

You Might Also Like

Rivers Crisis: Pro-Wike Lawmakers Issue One Condition After Fubara Requested To Meet With Them
Jobs, cash coming as govt plans N350b revival pill
$1.1billion Malabu scam: Italian oil giant, Eni, admits wrongdoing
N31b loot: Jonathan’s camp to seek talks with Buhari
Perfect Riposte! Gov. Dapo Abiodun Douses Allegation of Tribal Bias in MAPOLY Reform
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print

BREAKING: EFCC Arrests Buhari’s Former Minister From His Hiding Place

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arrested a former Minister…

FULL LIST: 47 Disqualified Senatorial Aspirants

The All Progressives Congress (APC) on Monday released the list of senatorial…

JUST IN: NDC Finally Names Presidential Aspirant for 2027 Election

Peter Obi, the former presidential candidate of the Labour Party, has been…

Tension in Kano as Gov Yusuf Sends Warning to Kwankwaso

Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf of Kano State has issued a stern warning…

APC Make U-Turn On Senatorial Primaries List

The All Progressives Congress has made a u-turn on its earlier list…

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
TelegramFollow
WhatsAppFollow

You Might Also Like

Onnoghen in fresh application says CCT chairman’s ‘integrity in doubt’

February 6, 2019

War Against Corruption: Buhari’s intimate friend, Jafaru Isa, arrested by the EFCC

January 7, 2016

Herdsmen kill RCCG pastor, two others in Kaduna

August 23, 2016

No going back on arrest of Ekpeyong, Oke, says Magu

November 23, 2017

Categories

  • News
  • Homepage
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Top News
  • Highlife
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Inside Boardroom

About The Capital

We deliver premium coverage of business, politics, lifestyle, entertainment, and society stories shaping Nigeria and beyond. Through credible reporting, insightful features, and engaging digital storytelling, we keep readers informed on the people, trends, events, and conversations driving modern culture and public discourse.
Quick Links
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Connect with us on Social Media

Facebook X-twitter Whatsapp Envelope

Send us email: [email protected]

© thecapital.ng. All Rights Reserved. Designed by Semasir Connect.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?