By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
The CapitalThe CapitalThe Capital
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
      • Featured Profile
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Reading: We have serious case against Saraki, FG tells CCT
Share
Font ResizerAa
The CapitalThe Capital
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sports
Search
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
Politics

We have serious case against Saraki, FG tells CCT

June 9, 2017 9:01 am
The Capital
Share
SHARE

The Federal Government on Thursday asked the Code of Conduct Tribunal to dismiss the no-case submission filed by the Senate President, Bukola Saraki, to fault the evidence led by the prosecution in relation to the 16 charges of false declaration of assets and other related offences preferred against him.

The Senate President, through his no-case submission filed before the CCT on May 26, 2017, contended that none of the exhibits tendered and evidence given by the four prosecution witnesses linked him to the alleged offences to warrant him to defend the charges.

But arguing the Federal Government’s objection to the no-case submission on Thursday, the prosecuting counsel, Mr Rotimi Jacobs (SAN), said there was a ‘serious prima facie case’ against the Senate President.

Chairman of the CCT, Danladi Umar, after hearing both the defence and the prosecution, on Thursday, said the date for the ruling would be communicated to the parties soon.

The prosecution had closed its case after its fourth witness, Mr Bayo Dauda, an official of Guaranty Trust Bank Plc, Ilorin branch, started and concluded his testimony on May 4.

Shortly after Dauda was cross-examined by the defence counsel, Mr. Paul Erokoro (SAN), the lead prosecuting counsel, Mr. Rotimi Jacobs (SAN), announced the closing of the prosecution’s case.

In response, Erokoro said the defence would file a no-case submission, contending that no credible evidence had been led by the prosecution to warrant Saraki to defend the charges.

Adopting the defendant’s written addresses before the CCT on Thursday, the lead defence counsel, Chief Kanu Agabi (SAN), said the petition which precipitated the charges had nothing to do with his client.

See also  Buhari running government of terror, says Fayose

Agabi said the charges, especially counts 1, 2, 6, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 16, had disclosed no valid offences.

Agabi argued that the failure of the prosecution to disclose the name of the said authorised persons in the charges had rendered the charges invalid.

He also said two of the prosecution witnesses, Mr. Samuel Madojemu, an official of the Code of Conduct Bureau, and another operative of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Mr. Michael Wetkas, had only given hearsay testimonies as evidence.

But Jacobs said, “One method your lordship should adopt to show that there is a serious prima facie case against the defendant is to look at exhibits 6 and 26 which are assets declarations made by the defendant after the investigation of this case.

“My lordships will see that the defendant listed all the properties and stated that they were acquired in 92 and 99 and, now. If My Lord juxtaposes them with exhibits 1 to 5, some of the properties he claimed (were) acquired in 1999, 2002, and 2003, were not declared.”

You Might Also Like

‘He Mostly Talks About Himself’ — Bill Clinton Attacks Donald Trump For Being Self-Centered: ‘He’s Singing Me, Me, Me, Me, Me’
I’ll Make Southeast industrial, Manufacturing Hub – Tinubu Promises
Breaking News! PDP crisis festers as Sheriff Storms out of Jonathan’s Peace Parley
Presidency’s N137b virement not listed as Senate, Reps return
Wike, Kano governor disagree over Rivers rerun poll
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print

APC Make U-Turn On Senatorial Primaries List

The All Progressives Congress has made a u-turn on its earlier list…

Government Issues Fresh Update on Sallah Celebration

Saudi Arabia government has announced that Eid Al-Adha will be celebrated on…

Fuel nozzle

BREAKING: No More N1320/Litre, Petrol Price Crashes At Depots Nationwide; New Rates Emerge

The price of petrol at various private depots across Nigeria recorded marginal…

Breaking Grounds: Tunji Alausa Flags Off Landmark Hostel Projects at LASU, YABATECH

● Education Minister leads groundbreaking ceremonies as Lagos institutions infrastructure reform ●FG-backed…

The Senate Beckons: Ogun East Unites Behind Dapo Abiodun

● Many Voices, One Mandate: Ogun Endorses Dapo Abiodun In a powerful…

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
TelegramFollow
WhatsAppFollow

You Might Also Like

Emefiele In The Eyes of The Media… Journey Through The Gallery of Nigeria’s Most Decorated Banker

April 15, 2022
Politics

2027 Presidency: Northern Leaders Dump Tinubu, Eye Alternatives As Replacement, Two Names Disclosed

October 28, 2024

BREAKING: EFCC Arrests Suspected Vote-Buyers in Edo Guber Election

September 21, 2024

Ekiti 2022: History, Strategy And Assuring APC Victory

January 19, 2022

Categories

  • News
  • Homepage
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Top News
  • Highlife
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Inside Boardroom

About The Capital

We deliver premium coverage of business, politics, lifestyle, entertainment, and society stories shaping Nigeria and beyond. Through credible reporting, insightful features, and engaging digital storytelling, we keep readers informed on the people, trends, events, and conversations driving modern culture and public discourse.
Quick Links
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Connect with us on Social Media

Facebook X-twitter Whatsapp Envelope

Send us email: [email protected]

© thecapital.ng. All Rights Reserved. Designed by Semasir Connect.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?