By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
The CapitalThe CapitalThe Capital
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
      • Featured Profile
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Reading: 2023: Why Wike Fails To Unveil Preferred Presidential Candidate
Share
Font ResizerAa
The CapitalThe Capital
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sports
Search
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
News

2023: Why Wike Fails To Unveil Preferred Presidential Candidate

February 1, 2023 12:14 pm
The Capital
Share
SHARE

Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has failed to meet the January deadline, which he set for the unveiling of his preferred presidential candidate for the 2023 election.

Mr Wike assured his supporters November that he was going to adopt a presidential candidate for them to vote for in next month’s presidential election.

He repeated the promise in December last year saying he was going to campaign for his preferred presidential candidate in all parts of the country and that “nothing will happen”.

“So, all of you who have been in suspense, who have been saying all kinds of things, abusing me, wait, January is here,” Mr Wike said while commissioning a flyover in Port Harcourt.

The deadline elapsed on Tuesday (yesterday) but the governor of the oil-rich Rivers State was yet to make good his promise.

Rivers State Commissioner for Information, Chris Finebone confirmed to this newspaper, Wednesday morning, that the governor was yet to unveil his preferred candidate.

“He hasn’t done it yet but he will do it,” Mr Finebone said, appealing for patience from Nigerians.

Mr Wike, a member of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), fell out with the party leadership after the presidential primary which he lost to former Vice President Atiku Abubakar.

The governor also fell out with Atiku, the PDP presidential candidate for reneging on the alleged promise to ensure the exit of the National Chairman of the party, Iyorchia Ayu, so that a southerner can lead the party for the sake of a “regional balance”.

Atiku and Mr Ayu are both northerners.

See also  China installs giant alien-hunting telescope

Mr Wike now leads the G5, a group of PDP governors who are aggrieved with Mr Atiku and the PDP leadership.

Governor Samuel Ortom (Benue), Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi (Enugu), Okezie Ikpaeazu (Abia) and Seyi Makinde (Oyo) are the other members of the G5.

Members of the G5 who were appointed into the Atiku presidential campaign council, withdrew their membership and boycotted its inauguration.

The quintet had in November last year, in Abia State, said they would support a southern presidential candidate for the 2023 election, a decision they said was in line with the agreement reached in the southern governors forum that Nigeria’s presidency should come to the south in 2023.

Governor Ortom of Benue State, a G5 member, openly backed the endorsement of the Labour Party (LP) presidential candidate, Peter Obi by former President Olusegun Obasanjo.

Mr Ortom in a statement from his spokesperson, Terver Akase, said Mr Obi possesses all the qualities of a leader who will be a true president of this country by guaranteeing justice and fairness for all Nigerians.

The governor said if he were not a member of the PDP, would have led Mr Obi’s campaign across Nigeria.

Mr Wike promised to provide logistics support for Mr Obi whenever the LP candidate would campaign in Port Harcourt.

After Mr Obi’s campaign in Port Harcourt in December, Governor Wike said he provided vehicles and security for the campaign in the state, TVC news reported.

It is not clear who Mr Wike will unveil as his choice presidential candidate among the two main presidential candidates from the south – Mr Obi and former Lagos State governor, Bola Tinubu of the ruling All Progressives Congress.

See also  Senator Arthur Nzeribe Is Dead

 

You Might Also Like

2027: Forget Northern Votes – Reno Omokri, Sarki Tackle Peter Obi Over Absence At Buhari’s Burial
Soyinka faults security clamp down on BBOG campaigners
Nigeria Records Highest Daily Spike of 745 COVID-19 Cases
N1.4bn Bank Fraud: EFCC Arrests Kogi Assembly Candidate with N326m, $610,500 Cash
JUST IN: Tinubu Announces 21 Fresh Nominations, Awaits Senate Confirmation
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print

JUST IN: NDC Finally Names Presidential Aspirant for 2027 Election

Peter Obi, the former presidential candidate of the Labour Party, has been…

Tension in Kano as Gov Yusuf Sends Warning to Kwankwaso

Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf of Kano State has issued a stern warning…

APC Make U-Turn On Senatorial Primaries List

The All Progressives Congress has made a u-turn on its earlier list…

Government Issues Fresh Update on Sallah Celebration

Saudi Arabia government has announced that Eid Al-Adha will be celebrated on…

Fuel nozzle

BREAKING: No More N1320/Litre, Petrol Price Crashes At Depots Nationwide; New Rates Emerge

The price of petrol at various private depots across Nigeria recorded marginal…

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
TelegramFollow
WhatsAppFollow

You Might Also Like

N80.2bn Yahaya Bello’s Trial: Dele Momodu Blasts EFCC
News

BREAKING: EFCC Chairman Threatens To Resign If Yahaya Bello Is Not Prosecuted

April 23, 2024
News

Tatum Bank Meets CBN Capitalisation Requirement Less Than One Year After Launch

March 10, 2026

Governor Wike seeks greater contribution of states in projects conception

March 2, 2016
26 Count Charges: Emefiele, Isioma Omole To Be Arraigned In Lagos Court Today
News

26 Count Charges: Emefiele, Omole To Be Arraigned In Lagos Court Today

April 8, 2024

Categories

  • News
  • Homepage
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Top News
  • Highlife
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Inside Boardroom

About The Capital

We deliver premium coverage of business, politics, lifestyle, entertainment, and society stories shaping Nigeria and beyond. Through credible reporting, insightful features, and engaging digital storytelling, we keep readers informed on the people, trends, events, and conversations driving modern culture and public discourse.
Quick Links
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Connect with us on Social Media

Facebook X-twitter Whatsapp Envelope

Send us email: [email protected]

© thecapital.ng. All Rights Reserved. Designed by Semasir Connect.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?