By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
The CapitalThe CapitalThe Capital
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
      • Featured Profile
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Reading: BREAKING: Trump Issues New Threats to Nigeria, “It Will Be a Many-Time Strike”
Share
Font ResizerAa
The CapitalThe Capital
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sports
Search
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
News

BREAKING: Trump Issues New Threats to Nigeria, “It Will Be a Many-Time Strike”

January 9, 2026 9:54 am
The Capital
Share
SHARE

United States President Donald Trump has warned that Washington could carry out further military strikes in Nigeria.

He said this would happen if the killing of Christians continues, saying any future action would not be limited to a single operation.

Trump made the remarks in an interview with The New York Times, published on Thursday, while responding to questions about a US military strike carried out in Nigeria on Christmas Day.

“I’d love to make it a one-time strike. But if they continue to kill Christians, it will be a many-time strike,” Trump said.

The US military had earlier confirmed that it conducted air strikes against Daesh militants in north-west Nigeria, describing the operation as one carried out at the request of the Nigerian government.

Nigerian authorities, however, said the strike was a joint operation and rejected any religious framing of the action.

Nigeria’s government maintained that the operation targeted terrorists and “had nothing to do with a particular religion”.

During the interview, Trump was asked about reports indicating that extremist groups in Nigeria kill both Muslims and Christians.

“I think that Muslims are being killed also in Nigeria. But it’s mostly Christians,” he said.

Nigeria, Africa’s most populous nation with over 230 million people, is almost evenly divided between Christians, who are largely concentrated in the south, and Muslims, who dominate the north.

The Nigerian government has consistently denied allegations that Christians are subjected to systematic persecution, noting that victims of insurgent violence include both Christians and Muslims.

Authorities have pointed to long-standing security challenges, including attacks and kidnappings by Islamist insurgents and criminal groups, particularly in the northern parts of the country.

See also  Seventh NASS: N17bn wasn’t a bribe, says Okonjo-Iweala

Nigeria’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, Yusuf Tuggar, recently stressed that the military action was a collaborative effort between Nigeria and the United States.

“It is an ongoing thing,” Tuggar said during an appearance on Channels Television when asked whether further strikes were expected. He added: “It must be made clear that it is a joint operation, and it is not targeting any religion.”

Trump’s comments come after he publicly described the Christmas Day air strikes as a “Christmas present” to Daesh, suggesting the timing was deliberately symbolic.

The remarks have since drawn attention amid ongoing debate over the nature of insecurity in Nigeria and the role of international partners in addressing the country’s security challenges.

You Might Also Like

Uncertainty As Beninese Court Remands Sunday Igboho To Detention
Businessman CEO of Bukka Hut Commits Suicide at Lekki Residence
PRESS STATEMENT ON THE PASSAGE OF THE CHIEF IMAM OF LAGOS STATE, LATE SHEIKH GARUBA IBRAHIM AKINOLA
Man With The Golden Touch…Wild Jubilation At TETFUND Over The Re-Instatement Of Suleiman Bogoro.
Buhari Poorer Now Than In 2015, Says Osinbajo
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print

APC Make U-Turn On Senatorial Primaries List

The All Progressives Congress has made a u-turn on its earlier list…

Government Issues Fresh Update on Sallah Celebration

Saudi Arabia government has announced that Eid Al-Adha will be celebrated on…

Fuel nozzle

BREAKING: No More N1320/Litre, Petrol Price Crashes At Depots Nationwide; New Rates Emerge

The price of petrol at various private depots across Nigeria recorded marginal…

Breaking Grounds: Tunji Alausa Flags Off Landmark Hostel Projects at LASU, YABATECH

● Education Minister leads groundbreaking ceremonies as Lagos institutions infrastructure reform ●FG-backed…

The Senate Beckons: Ogun East Unites Behind Dapo Abiodun

● Many Voices, One Mandate: Ogun Endorses Dapo Abiodun In a powerful…

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
TelegramFollow
WhatsAppFollow

You Might Also Like

Diezani’s curious joker! Buhari too was accused of stealing N2.8bn as Minister of Petroleum…. Diezani cries out

November 22, 2015
Obaseki/Oba of Benin's Faceoff: Edo Withdraws Charges Against Palace
News

Obaseki/Oba of Benin’s Faceoff: Edo Governor Withdraws Charges Against Palace

July 3, 2024

N7.1bn Fraud: We’re Still After Orji Kalu—EFCC

December 15, 2022
BREAKING: Tension In Kano As Governor Orders Arrest Of Deposed Emir, Aminu Ado Bayero
News

Kano Emirate Crisis Depens: Move Bayero Out Of Kano Now, Deputy Governor Warns Tinubu

February 28, 2025

Categories

  • News
  • Homepage
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Top News
  • Highlife
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Inside Boardroom

About The Capital

We deliver premium coverage of business, politics, lifestyle, entertainment, and society stories shaping Nigeria and beyond. Through credible reporting, insightful features, and engaging digital storytelling, we keep readers informed on the people, trends, events, and conversations driving modern culture and public discourse.
Quick Links
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Connect with us on Social Media

Facebook X-twitter Whatsapp Envelope

Send us email: [email protected]

© thecapital.ng. All Rights Reserved. Designed by Semasir Connect.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?