By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
The CapitalThe CapitalThe Capital
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
      • Featured Profile
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Reading: Adelabu: Nigeria’s Minister Of Lamentation
Share
Font ResizerAa
The CapitalThe Capital
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sports
Search
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
News

Adelabu: Nigeria’s Minister Of Lamentation

March 6, 2024 6:34 pm
The Capital
Share
SHARE

Fresh from his appointment as the Minister of Power last year by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu,  Adebayo Adelabu, boasted that he has found solutions to Nigeria’s electricity problem.

Speaking last September, the minister said the solutions to the nation’s erratic electricity problem may not be too farfetched. “I’ve diagnosed the issues to a large extent, and I’ve found out that the solutions are not as difficult as we all believe,” he said.

Few months down the line, the former Deputy Governor of the Central bank of Nigeria, CBN,  appears to have lost the ideas on how to tackle the country inherent power supply problem, according to experts watching the nation’s power sector.

The minister would later described the power sector in the country to be too ‘complicated’. Experts insist that he now has a full grasp of the situation, buy whether he has the expertise to tackle them is another question entirely.

Two times this year, the national power grid has collapsed leaving many electricity users to be wondering what is actually happening in the sector.

The situation has made not a few Nigerians to lament the impacts of erratic power on their homes and business.

Some businesses have closed shop while many homes are currently battling with several heat day and night due to power outages.

“Our children could no longer sleep at night due to heat. Foods in our refrigerators are getting spoiled everyday. And for those of us who depend on electricity for our businesses, this is not the best time at all,’ Bola Richards, a cold room owner in Lagos said.

See also  Buhari, Osinbajo’s daughters join #EndPoliceBrutality campaign

But Nigerians are not the only ones lamenting, the minister also seems to have lost his patience over the situation, and has now decided to crack down on perceived saboteurs.

In his quest to find a way out of the problem, Adelabu has summoned the management of power firms in the country to a meeting in Abuja, the nation’s capital.

Whether this meeting would bring a permanent solution to the erratic power situation in the country, according to those watching what is going on, is another conjecture.

The minister posted on his verified X handle on Wednesday, that he has ordered the Chief Executives of two power firms; Abuja Electricity Distribution Company, AEDC, and Ibadan Electricity Distribution Company, IBEDC, to a crucial meeting because he’s “deeply concerned about the deteriorating electricity supply across the country.”

Apart from the two power companies, the Managing Director of Transmission Company of Nigeria, TCN, has also been summoned to the meeting.

Adelabu said, “The purpose of this meeting is to discuss the worsening power supply in their respective regions and to collectively find lasting solutions.

“It is disheartening to witness the decline in power supply despite the concerted efforts to improve the situation. The Ministry has been exerting pressure on the Generating Companies (GENCOs) to enhance their performance, resulting in a recent increase in generation to over 4000MW.

“Despite this progress, certain distribution companies are failing to adequately distribute the power supplied by TCN, while vandalism of power infrastructure exacerbates the problem in regions such as Abuja, Benin, Port Harcourt, and Ibadan.

See also  Subscribers Kick Against 40% Hike In Telecom Tariff

“Moving forward, I am committed to holding all distribution companies accountable for their performance. Willful non-performance will not be tolerated, and severe consequences, including license revocation, may be imposed. Additionally, I have instructed TCN to prioritize repair works on damaged transmission towers and power lines to improve supply in affected regions.

“During recent supervisory visits to power generating plants, I have witnessed firsthand the challenges faced by the sector.

“Plans are underway to settle outstanding debts owed to power generation and gas supply companies, which will alleviate the financial strain and contribute to improved generation levels nationwide. I urge electricity consumers to remain patient as we work tirelessly to address these issues and provide better service to all Nigerians,’ the minister said.

In the last few days, the power problem has worsened to the extent that Nigerians are now sourcing alternative power to be used in their homes and business.

The minister had recently blamed vandals for the problem, apart the challenges of inadequate gas supply to generating firms, which he said has hampered their production capacity.

On their part, the power companies have blamed the huge debt owed by some public and private concerns for their inability to perform optimally.

Among the major debtors are the presidency, Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, National Assembly, the Military, federal government agencies and parastatals and some state governments owing several billions to distribution firms, and have refuse to pay up.

The total debt has piled up to more than N190 billion, the distribution companies, Discos, claimed recently while threatening to cut off power supply to the debtors.

See also  Legal battle begins to stop Olubada-designate

Meanwhile, not a few Nigerians suffering from the current electricity problem in the country has advised the minister to do his job. What they need, according to them is not blame game, but stable power to make their homes and business functional.

 

 

-The Source

You Might Also Like

Obasanjo hiring tired players for ‘third term’ –Oshiomhole
Insecurity: APC Spokesperson Shot Dead
Obey, K1, 40 others to perform at Olubadan’s coronation
Senator Arthur Nzeribe Is Dead
Lagos spends N1bn to train 15,000 workers
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print

APC Make U-Turn On Senatorial Primaries List

The All Progressives Congress has made a u-turn on its earlier list…

Government Issues Fresh Update on Sallah Celebration

Saudi Arabia government has announced that Eid Al-Adha will be celebrated on…

Fuel nozzle

BREAKING: No More N1320/Litre, Petrol Price Crashes At Depots Nationwide; New Rates Emerge

The price of petrol at various private depots across Nigeria recorded marginal…

Breaking Grounds: Tunji Alausa Flags Off Landmark Hostel Projects at LASU, YABATECH

● Education Minister leads groundbreaking ceremonies as Lagos institutions infrastructure reform ●FG-backed…

The Senate Beckons: Ogun East Unites Behind Dapo Abiodun

● Many Voices, One Mandate: Ogun Endorses Dapo Abiodun In a powerful…

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
TelegramFollow
WhatsAppFollow

You Might Also Like

Self-professed Chibok girl suicide bomber arrested

March 26, 2016
News

2027: Fresh Prophecies Emerge On IBB, El-Rufai’s Plan To Unseat Tinubu

February 22, 2025

Fresh Ebola outbreak kills three in DR Congo

May 13, 2017

Historical Flashback: The story of Nigeria’s most dreaded armed robber, Lawrence Anini

December 23, 2015

Categories

  • News
  • Homepage
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Top News
  • Highlife
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Inside Boardroom

About The Capital

We deliver premium coverage of business, politics, lifestyle, entertainment, and society stories shaping Nigeria and beyond. Through credible reporting, insightful features, and engaging digital storytelling, we keep readers informed on the people, trends, events, and conversations driving modern culture and public discourse.
Quick Links
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Connect with us on Social Media

Facebook X-twitter Whatsapp Envelope

Send us email: [email protected]

© thecapital.ng. All Rights Reserved. Designed by Semasir Connect.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?