By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
The CapitalThe CapitalThe Capital
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
      • Featured Profile
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Reading: Alleged Procurement Fraud: Court Adjourns Emefiele‘s Trial
Share
Font ResizerAa
The CapitalThe Capital
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sports
Search
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
Alleged Procurement Fraud: Court Adjourns Emefiele‘s Trial
News

Alleged Procurement Fraud: Court Adjourns Emefiele‘s Trial

April 25, 2024 3:27 pm
The Capital
Share
SHARE

A federal capital territory (FCT) high court in Maitama has adjourned the trial of Godwin Emefiele, former governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), to June 24.

When the case was called on Thursday, neither the prosecution counsel nor the defendant were in court. However, Emefiele was represented by one of his counsels.

I.D Ahmed, who represented the defendant, told the court that the prosecution served him a letter praying for an adjournment.

He also apologised to the court for the absence of his client.

Hamza Muazu, presiding judge, said: “Because you have a letter of adjournment from the prosecution does not mean the defendant should not be in court.”

Muazu then adjourned until June 24 and June 25 for continuation of trial.

The federal government, on January 18, amended the criminal charges filed against the former CBN governor.

The charges, formerly six counts, were increased to 20 counts.

The amended charges border on alleged criminal breach of trust, forgery, conspiracy to commit forgery, procurement fraud and conspiracy to commit a felony.

At the previous hearing, the court agreed to vary Emefiele’s bail condition which previously restricted him to the FCT.

The court granted the application permitting the former CBN governor to travel within Nigeria but restrained him from leaving the country during the pendency of the case.

In some of the counts, the EFCC alleged that Emefiele, in January 2023, forged a document titled: “RE: PRESIDENTIAL DIRECTIVE ON FOREIGN ELECTION OBSERVER MISSIONS,” dated 26 January 2023 with Ref No. SGF.43/L.01/201.

The EFCC said Emefiele made the claim despite knowing it to be false and committed an offence contrary to section 1(1) of the Advance Fee Fraud and Other Fraud Related Offences Act, 2006, and punishable under section 1(3) of the same Act.

See also  Killings: We won’t tolerate cattle ranches in Southwest, says Afenifere

According to the amended charge marked CR/577/2023, Emefiele, on February 8, 2023, connived with one Odoh Ocheme, who is now on the run, to obtain $6.2m from the CBN, claiming that the SGF requested it “vide a letter dated 26th January 2023 with Ref No. SGF.43/L.01/201″.

Meanwhile, the EFCC had also declared Magaret, Emefiele’s wife, wanted for money laundering.

 

You Might Also Like

Diezani Plotted To Flee To The Commonwealth of Dominica Before UK Arrest
VIDEO: Heavy Gunshots As Bandit Kingpin, Bello Turji Seizes Nigerian Army’s Vehicles, Ammunition During Operation
SERAP drags Nigerian Senate to UN over ‘Legislative Rascality’
BREAKING NEWS: Crisis Deepens As APC Suspends Fubara For Alleged Anti-Party Activities
Dogara to Tinubu: Watch Your Language
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print

[BREAKING] 2027 Election: Tinubu Rejects Top APC Governor’s Second Term Bid

Barring any unforeseen circumstances, Rivers State Governor, Siminalayi Fubara’s re-election bid on…

APC Primaries: List of Powerful Senators Who Lost Return Ticket Emerges

The ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) had its primary election for senatorial…

Femi Otedola First Bank Nigeria

The Otedola Effect: How a Boardroom Maverick Is Reshaping First Bank’s Future

● From Billionaire Mogul to Banking Reformer: He Is Rewriting First Bank’s…

BREAKING: EFCC Arrests Buhari’s Former Minister From His Hiding Place

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arrested a former Minister…

FULL LIST: 47 Disqualified Senatorial Aspirants

The All Progressives Congress (APC) on Monday released the list of senatorial…

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
TelegramFollow
WhatsAppFollow

You Might Also Like

FG to pay 16 retired Perm Secs N92.44m severance package

November 19, 2015

Health Tips: Feed your hair!

November 27, 2015

Ministers, Political Appointees go Spiritual to Escape Cabinet Reshuffle

January 3, 2021

Mind your own business, Ortom tells Lalong

February 13, 2018

Categories

  • News
  • Homepage
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Top News
  • Highlife
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Inside Boardroom

About The Capital

We deliver premium coverage of business, politics, lifestyle, entertainment, and society stories shaping Nigeria and beyond. Through credible reporting, insightful features, and engaging digital storytelling, we keep readers informed on the people, trends, events, and conversations driving modern culture and public discourse.
Quick Links
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Connect with us on Social Media

Facebook X-twitter Whatsapp Envelope

Send us email: [email protected]

© thecapital.ng. All Rights Reserved. Designed by Semasir Connect.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?