By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
The CapitalThe CapitalThe Capital
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
      • Featured Profile
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Reading: Alleged US Conviction: Court Dismisses Suit Seeking Omo-Agege’s Sacking
Share
Font ResizerAa
The CapitalThe Capital
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sports
Search
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
News

Alleged US Conviction: Court Dismisses Suit Seeking Omo-Agege’s Sacking

June 26, 2020 6:49 am
The Capital
Share
SHARE

The Federal High Court in Abuja, on Thursday dismissed a suit seeking an order directing Senator Ovie Omo-Agege to vacate his seat as a senator and Deputy Senate President.

The suit filed by a civil society group, Empowerment for Unemployed Youth Initiative, is anchored on the grounds that Omo-Agege allegedly has a record of previous criminal convictions in the United States of America.

But delivering judgment in the suit, Justice Ahmed Mohammed dismissed the suit on the grounds that it constituted an abuse of court process.

In dismissing the suit, the judge upheld the preliminary objection filed by four respondents, comprising, Omo-Agege, the Clerk of the National Assembly, his party, the All Progressives Congress and the Independent National Electoral Commission.

Justice Mohammed noted that the plaintiff ought to have immediately withdrawn the suit on realising that the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory in Abuja, a court with coordinate jurisdiction with the Federal High Court, had already decided the issue in the suit.

The judge held that contrary to the contention of the plaintiff, it was bound by the FCT High Court judgment despite not being a party to suit in which the said judgment was delivered.

He held, “In the light of the above, the plaintiff is bound by the judgment of my brother, Justice O.A. Musa of the FCT High Court delivered on January 29, 2020, wherein it was declared that the defendant was not convicted.

“It is precisely the intention of this suit to relitigate the issue already laid to rest by judgment of the FCT High Court.”

See also  It’s difficult to fulfil all my electoral promises, says Buhari

He added that by refusing to take an immediate step of withdrawing the suit on being aware of the FCT High Court judgment, the plaintiff  “lends credence to the contention of the counsel for the first defendant that the suit was filed in obvious attempt to annoy and irritate the first defendant.”

He dismissed the suit with a punitive cost of N1.2m awarded against the plaintiff and its lawyer, Mr. Edward Omaga.

The judge specifically ordered that the plaintiff and his lawyer must pay the sum of N300,000 to each of the four respondents – Omo-Agege, the Clerk of the National Assembly, APC and INEC.

You Might Also Like

FG to marketers: violate petrol pump price, face sanctions
Diezani cash: EFCC rejects ex-minister’s settlement offer
VIDEO: If 1,000 Policemen Invade My House, Hardly Will 100 Return – Sunday Igboho Boasts
Tourism: a huge potential overlooked by Buhari
Nigeria Needs Over $20b For Power Masterplan – French Firm
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print

BREAKING: EFCC Arrests Buhari’s Former Minister From His Hiding Place

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arrested a former Minister…

FULL LIST: 47 Disqualified Senatorial Aspirants

The All Progressives Congress (APC) on Monday released the list of senatorial…

JUST IN: NDC Finally Names Presidential Aspirant for 2027 Election

Peter Obi, the former presidential candidate of the Labour Party, has been…

Tension in Kano as Gov Yusuf Sends Warning to Kwankwaso

Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf of Kano State has issued a stern warning…

APC Make U-Turn On Senatorial Primaries List

The All Progressives Congress has made a u-turn on its earlier list…

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
TelegramFollow
WhatsAppFollow

You Might Also Like

Alleged N63.6m fraud: How MOD staff died in EFCC custody -Cellmates

August 21, 2016

$6bn Mambilla Contract: Obasanjo’s ex-Minister, Agunloye Arraigned

January 10, 2024

Tension as Fayemi Moves to Depose Ado Monarch, 10 Others

March 12, 2020

Govs. Sanwo-Olu, Abiodun, Bisi Akande, Tinubu’s Associates Get Private Screening Of ‘Last-Man Standing’

March 19, 2022

Categories

  • News
  • Homepage
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Top News
  • Highlife
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Inside Boardroom

About The Capital

We deliver premium coverage of business, politics, lifestyle, entertainment, and society stories shaping Nigeria and beyond. Through credible reporting, insightful features, and engaging digital storytelling, we keep readers informed on the people, trends, events, and conversations driving modern culture and public discourse.
Quick Links
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Connect with us on Social Media

Facebook X-twitter Whatsapp Envelope

Send us email: [email protected]

© thecapital.ng. All Rights Reserved. Designed by Semasir Connect.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?