By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
The CapitalThe CapitalThe Capital
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
      • Featured Profile
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Reading: Buhari Ill-Advised on Botched NASS invitation, says Afe Babalola
Share
Font ResizerAa
The CapitalThe Capital
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sports
Search
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
News

Buhari Ill-Advised on Botched NASS invitation, says Afe Babalola

December 13, 2020 6:41 pm
The Capital
Share
SHARE

The Founder of Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti, (ABUAD) Chief Afe Babalola (SAN) has condemned in strong terms the refusal of President Muhammadu Buhari to appear before the National Assembly to give an explanation on the country’s security challenges.

Babalola said Buhari was ill-advised by the Attorney-General and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami, SAN, and some governors of the All Progressive Congress to cancel the invitation he had earlier agreed to honour.

He spoke at ABUAD in Ado-Ekiti, the Ekiti state capital on Sunday while receiving an Award of Excellence bestowed by the Nigeria Bar Association (NBA) Akure Branch, under the chairmanship of Barr. Rotimi Olorunfemi.

He clarified that the National Assembly had the power to invite the president to answer questions in any issue affecting Nigerians but could not issue summon on him, unlike other public officials due to his constitutional immunity.

The legal luminary said President Buhari is under a legal obligation to appear before the National Assembly when the need arises, saying the invitation was prudent efforts on the part of the legislative arm to find a lasting solution to the insecurity in the country.

“It is disheartening and saddening that President Muhammadu Buhari refused to appear before the National Assembly to address issue germane to the livelihood of Nigerians. If the Parliament invites the president, it is a legal obligation for him to appear before it. I don’t know whether they summon him but I thought they would have invited him.

“If he was summoned, then that gives room for disobedience. But if it was an invitation he ought to have appeared by way courtesy to those people. After all, the national assembly is the legislative body of this country. They made the law and expect the president to carry out the law. if I were in that position I would have gone. Fortunately, he wanted to go and told the whole world that he was going to appear until he was ill-advised not to go”, he added.

See also  I have forgiven Dino Melaye – Tinubu

Babalola appealed to President Buhari to have a rethink and reverse his decision in the best interest of Nigerians, saying this will help in regaining the lost trust of the disillusioned Nigerians.

He expressed concern that the security situation in the country had deteriorated, saying there has been an upsurge in killings, kidnapping, insurgency, banditry, and other manifestations of insecurity across the country.

He stated that the government must take immediate and frontal steps to arrest the situation by restructuring the country’s security architecture and provide enough modern equipment to effectively combat the hydra-headed insecurity.

ABUAD founder condemned the National President of the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS), Com. Sunday Asefon for threatening to shut down all private universities if the ongoing strike in public universities is not resolved.

He said it was not only disappointing but also appalling for Asefon who claimed to a progressive-minded individual fighting for the greater interest of the Nigerian students could contemplate on closing down private universities.

He said rather than leading onslaughts against private universities, the NANS president should direct his vengeance to the federal government and ASUU to seek a lasting solution to the lingering industrial action.

“NANS president is not the NUC, Minister of Education. What power does he have to shut down private universities? If has no such power, it means he’s going to resolve to violence. I think the police need to take necessary against him”.

In his address, the NBA Chairman, Akure Branch, Olorunfemi said Babalola has conferred the association’s grand patron for his incalculable contributions to the development of Nigeria’s legal system and jurisprudence through advocacy in courts of law and scholarship.

See also  Incompetence Writ Large: Ibe Kachikwu's Scorecard of Failed Promises

He described Babalola as a titan in the study and practice of law whose exploits in the legal realm transcend beyond the shores of Nigeria and Africa, adding that the legal icon has carved a special niche for himself on the international grid of excellence as a “walking encyclopedia of the law profession”.

Olorunfemi stated that Babalola’s litany of achievements in all spheres of human life including education, agriculture and law are not a fluke but full of diligence, dedication, hard work and sacrifice.

You Might Also Like

BREAKING! Senate Suspends Ningi Over N3.7 Trillion Budget Padding
‘It’s God’s Will To Impregnate My Friend’s Wife’- Ondo Prophet Discloses
2027: Aregbesola’s Camp In Dilemma Over Tinubu, Osun
Presidential poll: Outrage over Buhari’s failure to submit certificate
Frame-up allegation: APC, PDP Reps disagree on Obasanjo, Buhari
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print

BREAKING: EFCC Arrests Buhari’s Former Minister From His Hiding Place

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arrested a former Minister…

FULL LIST: 47 Disqualified Senatorial Aspirants

The All Progressives Congress (APC) on Monday released the list of senatorial…

JUST IN: NDC Finally Names Presidential Aspirant for 2027 Election

Peter Obi, the former presidential candidate of the Labour Party, has been…

Tension in Kano as Gov Yusuf Sends Warning to Kwankwaso

Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf of Kano State has issued a stern warning…

APC Make U-Turn On Senatorial Primaries List

The All Progressives Congress has made a u-turn on its earlier list…

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
TelegramFollow
WhatsAppFollow

You Might Also Like

Anger over Saraki’s refusal to recall National Assembly

August 15, 2018

Saudi Crown Prince Killed Khashoggi, Says UN Investigator

June 19, 2019

DSS uncovers plots to bomb Computer Village Lagos, worship centres, parks

July 2, 2016

EFCC to battle currency traffickers

December 15, 2017

Categories

  • News
  • Homepage
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Top News
  • Highlife
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Inside Boardroom

About The Capital

We deliver premium coverage of business, politics, lifestyle, entertainment, and society stories shaping Nigeria and beyond. Through credible reporting, insightful features, and engaging digital storytelling, we keep readers informed on the people, trends, events, and conversations driving modern culture and public discourse.
Quick Links
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Connect with us on Social Media

Facebook X-twitter Whatsapp Envelope

Send us email: [email protected]

© thecapital.ng. All Rights Reserved. Designed by Semasir Connect.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?