By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
The CapitalThe CapitalThe Capital
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
      • Featured Profile
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Reading: EFCC Re-arraigns Fayose For Alleged Money Laundering
Share
Font ResizerAa
The CapitalThe Capital
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sports
Search
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
News

EFCC Re-arraigns Fayose For Alleged Money Laundering

July 2, 2019 2:04 pm
The Capital
Share
SHARE

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) Tuesday re-arraigned former Ekiti State Governor Ayo Fayose for alleged money laundering

His trial will, in effect, start de novo (afresh) before Justice Chukwujekwu Aneke of the Federal High Court in Lagos.

The court granted Fayose’s application for permission to travel to South Africa for medical treatment.

The re-arraignment followed the re-assignment of the case to Justice Aneke after the EFCC said it no longer had confidence in Justice Mojisola Olatoregun, who was previously adjudicating on it.

The case was re-assigned after 13 witnesses testified for the prosecution.

Fayose was arraigned last October 22 on an 11-count charge of receiving and keeping N1.2billion and $5million allegedly stolen from the Office of National Security Adviser (ONSA).

He was charged with his company, Spotless Limited.

He pleaded not guilty to the same charge and was allowed to remain on the bail granted him by Justice Olatoregun.

The prosecution opened its case last November 19, but the Chief Judge, Justice Adamu Abdu-Kafarati, transferred the case following EFCC’s petition against Justice Olatoregun.

A former Minister of State for Defence Senator Musiliu Obanikoro testified for the prosecution, stating that he collected N2.2billion from ONSA for Fayose.

Tuesday, prosecuting counsel Adebisi Adeniyi, who stood in for Rotimi Jacobs (SAN), did not oppose an application by defence counsel Ola Olanipekun (SAN) that Fayose be allowed to remain on bail.

Olanipekun also moved a motion seeking leave for Fayose to travel to South Africa for medical examination during the court’s long vacation scheduled to begin on Friday.

See also  Confirmation crisis: Presidency weighs options on Magu

The prosecution also did not oppose the application.

Justice Aneke ruled: “I hereby grant the first defendant’s application for the temporary release of his international passport to enable him undertake a medical trip abroad.

“The first defendant shall return the international passport to the court on or before September 16.”

EFCC alleged that Fayose and an aide Abiodun Agbele took possession of N1.219billion from ONSA to fund his governorship campaign, knowing fund is proceed of “stealing”.

The commission said he received $5million from ONSA without going through a financial institution, contrary to the Money Laundering Act.

The prosecution said he placed N300million “proceed of stealing” in his fixed deposit account.

It was also alleged that he deposited N317million in the account of Spotless Investment Limited, a company he and his family own.

EFCC said Fayose lodged N305, 760,000 in his account when he ought to know the money formed part of proceeds of an unlawful act.

It added that the former governor procured De-Privateer Limited and Agbele to retain N719, 490,000.00 in their accounts.

EFCC said he acquired a property on Plot 1504, Yedsema Street, Maitama, Abuja from Rabi Kundili with illicit N270million.

Fayose allegedly used N1, 151,711,573 to acquire chalets 3 and 4, 6 and 9 on Plot 100 Tiamiyu Savage Street, Victoria Island, Lagos in the name of JJ Technical Service.

EFCC said he used N200million to acquire a property on 44, Osun Crescent, Maitama, Abuja in the name of his elder sister, Moji Oladeji.

It was further alleged that he used N270million to illegally acquire a property on Plot 1504 Yedseram Street, Maitama, Abuja in the name of Spotless Investment.

See also  FG to use seized properties as offices

Fayose allegedly procured Still Earth Limited to retain N132.5million in its account for his benefit, EFCC said.

Fayose pleaded not guilty to all the counts.

Justice Aneke adjourned until September 16 to 19 and October 21 to 25 for trial.

You Might Also Like

APC National Chairman, Deputy Resign From Senate
Tension Heightens In Abuja As Multinationals And Embassies Plan Relocating To Lagos Over Worsening Insecurity
IPOB Warns: ‘Islam Is Taboo In Biafra Land’: Fact-Checking Anti-Muslim Rhetoric By Biafra Campaigners [ICYMT]
Fayose kept mum…as Tinubu turns the savior
FG Set To Announces One-Day Public Holiday Nationwide; Reasons Emerge
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print

BREAKING: EFCC Arrests Buhari’s Former Minister From His Hiding Place

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arrested a former Minister…

FULL LIST: 47 Disqualified Senatorial Aspirants

The All Progressives Congress (APC) on Monday released the list of senatorial…

JUST IN: NDC Finally Names Presidential Aspirant for 2027 Election

Peter Obi, the former presidential candidate of the Labour Party, has been…

Tension in Kano as Gov Yusuf Sends Warning to Kwankwaso

Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf of Kano State has issued a stern warning…

APC Make U-Turn On Senatorial Primaries List

The All Progressives Congress has made a u-turn on its earlier list…

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
TelegramFollow
WhatsAppFollow

You Might Also Like

$2.1 arms scam: Jonathan named in torn statement by Metuh

February 27, 2016
BusinessNewsOpinion

From Blueprint to Runway: Ogun Delivers Global-Standard Aviation Infrastructure

June 18, 2025

Infidelity: Gospel Singer Sammie Okposo Tenders Public Apology, Suspends Self From Ministry

January 25, 2022

I didn’t buy ministerial slot from Sylva —Lokpobiri

April 5, 2016

Categories

  • News
  • Homepage
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Top News
  • Highlife
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Inside Boardroom

About The Capital

We deliver premium coverage of business, politics, lifestyle, entertainment, and society stories shaping Nigeria and beyond. Through credible reporting, insightful features, and engaging digital storytelling, we keep readers informed on the people, trends, events, and conversations driving modern culture and public discourse.
Quick Links
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Connect with us on Social Media

Facebook X-twitter Whatsapp Envelope

Send us email: [email protected]

© thecapital.ng. All Rights Reserved. Designed by Semasir Connect.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?