By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
The CapitalThe CapitalThe Capital
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
      • Featured Profile
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Reading: No peace in the grave! Ojukwu’s family in disarray over late hero’s estates
Share
Font ResizerAa
The CapitalThe Capital
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sports
Search
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
News

No peace in the grave! Ojukwu’s family in disarray over late hero’s estates

February 2, 2016 10:43 am
The Capital
Share
SHARE

•Late warlord’s wife, Bianca, sues extended family over properties

When rich men die, they don’t always rest in perfect peace because their death is always the beginning of battle between family members over the estates and properties left behind. In fact, in some extreme cases, these family members go to the extent of consulting spiritualist and lives are lost mysteriously.

Chief Odimegwu Ojukwu is a hero to many Nigerians, but as you read, his family members are at one another’s jugular over the estate and property the Biafran warlord left behind. For some times now, there have been legal battles going between Bianca Ojukwu’s and some members of the late warlord’s family.

At a court sitting on Monday, February 1, 2016, Bianca Ojukwu told an Igbosere High Court, Lagos, that she was the only legal wife of the deceased husband. She said this during the commencement of trial in the legal battle between her and the other family members over the family estate.

Bianca had instituted the case on behalf of her two under-aged children, Afamefuna and Nwachukwu. She is asking the court to determine the legitimate owners of Ojukwu Transport Ltd (OTL) and to stop an alleged move by the family to eject her sons from the company’s properties located in Lagos.

Bianca, in her evidence in chief before Justice Abdulfattah Lawal‎, told the court that neither her nor her children were shareholders or directors in OTL. She said that Ojukwu had eight children, including her under-aged children, who are claimants in the case.

See also  Badeh remanded in prison for alleged N3.97b fraud

She told the court that she was the only woman legally married to Ojukwu, because her court, Church and traditional marriage rights were performed. Bianca, during cross examination also told the court that the suit was filed to ascertain the right of her own children and not other children of Ojukwu.

The witness further informed the court that some of the OTL properties in question had been in the possession of her late husband before his demise.She added that the rents of those properties were being collected by her husband.
Bianca had asked the court to declare that her children are entitled to the possession and occupation of one of the properties known as No. 29, Oyinkan Abayomi St., Ikoyi, Lagos.

She asked the court to declare this until the harmonisation of the management and administration of the assets of the first defendant –(OTL).

The defendants in the suit include: Prof. Joseph Ojukwu, Emmanuel Ojukwu, Lotanna Putalora Ojukwu, Dr Patrick Ojukwu. Others are Edward Ojukwu, Lota Akajiora Ojukwu and Mrs Massey Udegbe (doing business under Massey Udegbe & Company).‎‎

In the suit, Bianca, had in her statement of claim, prayed the court to declare that the threat of forceful ejection from 29 Oyinkan Abayomi St., by the defendants was illegal. She is also asking the court for a declaration that her children are entitled to possess the following properties, namely: No. 13, Hawksworth Road, Ikoyi (now known as No. 13, Ojora road). Also, No 32A Commercial Avenue, Yaba, Lagos; No 30 Gerard Road, Ikoyi, Lagos and No. 30 McPherson Avenue, Ikoyi.

See also  Those who distorted the budget will face severe punishment, Buhari vowed

According to her, the properties are under the possession of the late Ojukwu-the father of the claimants from the time the properties were released from government acquisition till date.
The claimants stated that throughout the period their father was struggling to retrieve the properties from the government, the second to seventh defendants “never played any role in the struggle, nor contributed financially or otherwise to the realization of the struggle.”

You Might Also Like

Tinubu’s letter divides NWC as APC caucus, NEC meet
DSS quizzes ex-CBN dep gov, CAN leaders on B’Haram video
NNPC boss, Kachikwu replaces Alison-Madueke as OPEC president
Soyinka Cautions Govt On Obasanjo’s Comments
WAEC Increases Registration Fee To N18,000 Over Inflation
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print

BREAKING: EFCC Arrests Buhari’s Former Minister From His Hiding Place

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arrested a former Minister…

FULL LIST: 47 Disqualified Senatorial Aspirants

The All Progressives Congress (APC) on Monday released the list of senatorial…

JUST IN: NDC Finally Names Presidential Aspirant for 2027 Election

Peter Obi, the former presidential candidate of the Labour Party, has been…

Tension in Kano as Gov Yusuf Sends Warning to Kwankwaso

Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf of Kano State has issued a stern warning…

APC Make U-Turn On Senatorial Primaries List

The All Progressives Congress has made a u-turn on its earlier list…

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
TelegramFollow
WhatsAppFollow

You Might Also Like

Nigeria Records 389 New Cases of COVID-19, Highest Daily Figure Ever, says NCDC

May 28, 2020

FG files suit to seize Ekweremadu’s 22 Abuja, US, Dubai houses

March 22, 2018

Dokpesi’s U.S. visa revoked over looters lists, sues minister for N5b

May 2, 2018

NLC Protest Against Ngige Turns Bloody

May 8, 2019

Categories

  • News
  • Homepage
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Top News
  • Highlife
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Inside Boardroom

About The Capital

We deliver premium coverage of business, politics, lifestyle, entertainment, and society stories shaping Nigeria and beyond. Through credible reporting, insightful features, and engaging digital storytelling, we keep readers informed on the people, trends, events, and conversations driving modern culture and public discourse.
Quick Links
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Connect with us on Social Media

Facebook X-twitter Whatsapp Envelope

Send us email: [email protected]

© thecapital.ng. All Rights Reserved. Designed by Semasir Connect.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?