By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
The CapitalThe CapitalThe Capital
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
      • Featured Profile
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Reading: Tinubu’s Minister Accuses Buhari Govt Of Mismanaging $100 Million Loan
Share
Font ResizerAa
The CapitalThe Capital
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • Opinion
  • Sports
Search
  • Home
  • News
    • Featured
    • Top News
    • Top Stories
  • Business
    • Capital Market
    • Energy
    • Maritime
    • Inside Boardroom
  • Politics
  • International
  • Entertainment
    • Events
    • Highlife
  • Lifestyle
    • Society
  • Opinion
    • Guest Columnists
    • Interview
    • Special Features
    • Special Reports
  • Sports
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
Tinubu’s Minister Accuses Buhari Govt Of Mismanaging $100 Million
News

Tinubu’s Minister Accuses Buhari Govt Of Mismanaging $100 Million Loan

June 25, 2024 12:17 pm
The Capital
Share
SHARE

The Minister of Women Affairs, Uju Kennedy-Ohanenye has accused the Muhammadu Buhari administration of mismanaging the first tranche of the $500 million World Bank loan for women’s empowerment in the country.

Kennedy-Ohanenye made the claim during an appearance on Arise Television’s Morning Show on Monday.

According to her, the first tranche of the loan, which is $100 million, meant for the ‘Nigeria For Women Project’, was mismanaged.

A statement from the bank said the loan is a scale-up financing for the women’s project, which was initially approved on June 27, 2018, with $100m financing. …CONTINUE READING

Speaking during the interview, Kennedy-Ohanenye said the $100 million was disbursed by the Buhari government and the expenditure didn’t reflect the Renewed Hope Agenda of the Tinubu administration.

She claimed that the money was mainly used for advocacy, meetings, and consultancy services and was shared among the states without proper accountability and transparency.

She said, “About the Nigeria For Women Project, let me first tell Nigerian women to clap for President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, who came in after the first $100 million had been expended. When he came into the office, he looked at it with me and we were not satisfied with how the money was used. Let me make it clear, this is not a grant, it is a loan and when monies are given out as loans, they must be managed well so that the money can be paid back. if we don’t manage it well, how do we pay back the loan?

“When money is a loan, we expect whoever is given the loan to be allowed to utilise it properly in a way that the money will be paid back, so Nigeria will not continue owing all the time. So, the first $ 100 million, when I came in, I was not satisfied. It didn’t augur well with the Renewed Hope agenda. It was mainly for advocacy, meetings, and consultancy, and that was it and they shared it among the states. But remember, the project is called Nigeria For Women Project. It is supposed to be meant for projects for women, but that was not the case.”

See also  Wedlock of gods…Will Femi Hamzat Betray Babajide Sanwoolu?

The minister also stated the new structure has been forwarded to the Minister of Finance, Wale Edun, for restructuring for the commencement of the disbursement.

She added, “Fortunately, I quickly raised a new structure on how that money will be utilised so there won’t be more issues of advocacy, meetings and consultancy, which to me is a way of lavishing the money. So we took a new structure to him (Tinubu), he looked at it and he signed a memo, approving it for restructure. I quickly wrote to the Minister of Finance, Wale Edun, and I’m waiting for the new template to be restructured because Nigerian women are concerned, and we can work with the old structure.

“The former structure was there and women continued suffering. $500million is not a small amount of money, and I can assure you that it can change the lives of every woman who is vulnerable in this country, and I have planned myself from the Federal Ministry of Women Affairs, awaiting the new structure. What did I do? I created a portal, and we have started onboarding women from the communities we partner with all the traditional rulers and commissioners across the nation and they have started onboarding the vulnerable women from communities.”

 

You Might Also Like

First Civilian Governor of Lagos State, Lateef Jakande, is Dead
N1.4bn Fraud: Second Judge Withdraws From NBA President, Usoro’s Case
BREAKING: Violence Erupts in America, as Protesters Chant ‘We Want Trump Out of Office’
Why SARS can’t be scrapped, Says Police HQ, As Nigerians Urged to Take Photos, Videos of Errant Policemen
Nigerian-Biafran War: Peter Obi Under Fire for Celebrating Yakubu Gowon at 90
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print

BREAKING: EFCC Arrests Buhari’s Former Minister From His Hiding Place

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arrested a former Minister…

FULL LIST: 47 Disqualified Senatorial Aspirants

The All Progressives Congress (APC) on Monday released the list of senatorial…

JUST IN: NDC Finally Names Presidential Aspirant for 2027 Election

Peter Obi, the former presidential candidate of the Labour Party, has been…

Tension in Kano as Gov Yusuf Sends Warning to Kwankwaso

Governor Abba Kabir Yusuf of Kano State has issued a stern warning…

APC Make U-Turn On Senatorial Primaries List

The All Progressives Congress has made a u-turn on its earlier list…

Follow US

Find US on Social Medias
FacebookLike
XFollow
TelegramFollow
WhatsAppFollow

You Might Also Like

Oduah loses bid to stop bulletproof cars probe

February 18, 2016

Fayose Attacks Obasanjo: Nigerians Watching Out For Your End

August 9, 2020
News

2025 Recruitment: Immigration, Civil Defence, Others Release New Notice To All Applicants

August 3, 2025
IRT Arrests Notorious Serial Fraudster Olaogun Babatunde Over Fake Bank Alert
News

IRT Arrests Notorious Serial Fraudster Olaogun Babatunde Over Fake Bank Alert

May 1, 2022

Categories

  • News
  • Homepage
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Top News
  • Highlife
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Inside Boardroom

About The Capital

We deliver premium coverage of business, politics, lifestyle, entertainment, and society stories shaping Nigeria and beyond. Through credible reporting, insightful features, and engaging digital storytelling, we keep readers informed on the people, trends, events, and conversations driving modern culture and public discourse.
Quick Links
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Connect with us on Social Media

Facebook X-twitter Whatsapp Envelope

Send us email: [email protected]

© thecapital.ng. All Rights Reserved. Designed by Semasir Connect.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?